Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Arsenal is the only Tube Station named *directly after a Football Club.

* i.e. there are football clubs and tube stations that have names in common, both being named after the local area.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Correct, it used to be called Gillespie Road, but after much petitioning to the then LPTB, it was renamed.

maybe LPTBs predecessor..(both from wiki)

1676463401713.png

1676463432343.png

Chris S

Legendary Member
The Aryans were a Persian tribe who invaded the nortnern Indian sub-continent around 500 BCE. Their descendents still live there.
When neo-Nazis claim to be Aryans they are actually claiming to be Pakistanis.

The Aryans were a Persian tribe who invaded the nortnern Indian sub-continent around 500 BCE. Their descendents still live there.
When neo-Nazis claim to be Aryans they are actually claiming to be Pakistanis.

That's why they stole the Sw*stika. The top brass, especially Himmler, were also greatly interested in Hinduism and sent expeditions to Tibet where they bemused the local people by measuring their facial features to try and prove they were genetically related.

Himmler sent expeditions to find the Holy Grail and Thors Hammer, and was generally so bonkers his boss with the moustache was embarassed. When H*tler is embarrassed by your antics you know you've really stepped off the cliffs of sanity.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Although tin cans were used to store food from the 1770's at their earliest. The humble can opener wasn't patented until 1855 and the first modern type tin opener with a rotating wheel that cuts the edge of the tin wasn't invented until some 100 years after the first tins were used in 1870 and probably not commercially available until some time after.

I wonder how many people lost their digits trying to open tin cans with varying sharp instruments?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Although tin cans were used to store food from the 1770's at their earliest. The humble can opener wasn't patented until 1855 and the first modern type tin opener with a rotating wheel that cuts the edge of the tin wasn't invented until some 100 years after the first tins were used in 1870 and probably not commercially available until some time after.

I wonder how many people lost their digits trying to open tin cans with varying sharp instruments?

I can verify one of these facts as I had 4 stitches in my thumb after opening a tin of beans with an axe went wrong 😂

Top Bottom