Puncture repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
There is always going to be that possibility, unless you carry an unlimited supply of spare tubes.

Repairing punctures as they occur, I coped with up to four punctures a day carrying just one spare tube, which wasn't needed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The reason I'd never leave a tube unpatched is that I've had as many as four punctures in one ride on more than one occasion, and you may not get the chance to patch later if it's raining then.

The first year I got into long distance touring I was plagued by punctures, about 25-30 of them in a few months, and having lived through that I became completely unfazed by them.

Repairing punctures as they occur, I coped with up to four punctures a day carrying just one spare tube, which wasn't needed.
I'd question your tyre choice tbh. You probably spend more money on patches than most do on tyres, and that money would be better invested in tyres.🤣

presta

Guru
I'd question your tyre choice tbh. You probably spend more money on patches than most do on tyres, and that money would be better invested in tyres.🤣

It's certainly the case that I never had so many punctures after I switched to Marathons, but I was getting punctures with a lot of different tyres. In fact the same is true of the tyres themselves, at one time I was buying them every few months, but after I bought three Marathons in 2009 I didn't need another tyre until 2020.

Alex321

Guru

When you are commuting, getting back on the road quickly is the most important thing. And once in the habit for commuting, I do it all the time. I do also often feel a bit squeezed for time on my after work rides on non-commute days.

Though now, using marathon+ tyres, punctures are exceptionally rare.

simongt

Guru
I've used Park self adhesive patches for some years now and they've done pretty well. However, if it's a home repair job, I use the 'traditional' method of patches & rubber solution. Some bike shops; including a certain one beginning with 'H', still stock packs of replacement patches and sometimes a sheet of the rubbery stuff so you can cut the patches to sizes that suit you. :okay:

Top Bottom