Prototype 20" Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's 20" versions over this way, have been for a while. Also with disk brakes.
Double-barreled Billy needs to get his skates on.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it passes TOCs' rules for folding bikes, people will buy it. However, a current 16" Brompton with the extended seatpost, needed by most male riders and now the default, only *just* fits under the Class 800 luggage rack.

20210830_083836.jpg

tinywheels

Über Member
I am waiting on the spec of the G and of course the price. It seems that mid-September will be some announcements and bikes available from mid October.
I am not sure how well it will do, there seems to be a pent up demand for it amongst some people, but with demand falling for new bikes in general I think it will need to be priced well. Obviously, the folded size will also be key.

Price wise I suspect Brompton is at terminal velocity.
They need to be careful their prospective customers are not confused by the plethora of models now available.
I find it all confusing and I own one.

Kell

Veteran
I think that most people would appreciate the additional comfort/reduced rolling resistance offered.

And most (but not all) of the people I see with Bromptons on commuter trains never put them in the luggage racks.

They’re almost all put in the area by the doors. The additional size of a 20” over a16” wouldn’t make much difference here.

The biggest thing really is that it makes a stable folded package. Lost count of the times you hear a massive clatter as someone’s bike has fallen over as the train brakes.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In breach of NDA

https://www.reddit.com/r/Brompton/s/nYZoiY7IpD

Interestingly, there appears to be four different stem options.

Was looking at this last night.. like the disc brakes; on the fence about the wheel size. Don't like the placcy fork or apparent sh*t frame hinge design that's my current Brompton whinge. Price is a bit mental too.

I'm not really sure who this is intended to appeal to; I guess the bulk and weight will affect the folded characteristic.. perhaps that's a hit some are prepared to take for a more comfortable / perhaps more rough-terrain-tolerant ride..?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There LOT of very negative reviews about Carousell!! :whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The 16" version will still appeal most to those who commute on a crowded commuter train, but tats only one slice of the brommie market, but for those who want, what will presumably be a better ride, especially over rougher surfaces at a small cost to the folded package size and weight, then I can see the appeal. It will be a lot more foldable and storable than Dahon type 20" folders, but also massively more expensive.

Kell

Veteran
If everything there is true, it answers some of my biggest wants.

Including more gears and disc brakes.

Will definitely be getting hold of my local Brompton dealer.

Shame it's only three colours though.

tds101

If everything there is true, it answers some of my biggest wants.

Including more gears and disc brakes.

Will definitely be getting hold of my local Brompton dealer.

Shame it's only three colours though.

How do you know it's only going to be available is 3 colors? It would make sense though, considering it would be a test of the market.

albion

Guru
The 16" version will still appeal most to those who commute on a crowded commuter train, but tats only one slice of the brommie market, but for those who want, what will presumably be a better ride, especially over rougher surfaces at a small cost to the folded package size and weight, then I can see the appeal. It will be a lot more foldable and storable than Dahon type 20" folders, but also massively more expensive.

One thinks that might become its only market, much fatter tyres being needed for UK roads.
It could however progress by launching a 16" fat tyre folding version.

Top Bottom