Prototype 20" Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Fresh Brillant Bikes release on it here:

Watching it now... looks quite nice for what it is and the hinge setup looks less shite than the C-line. I'm unimpressed by the ally fork.

Seeing one in actual use unsurprisingly it looks a lot bigger than the 16" offerings and is unlikely to offer much incentive for those who use these in the typical urban environments the original is targeted at..

In simple terms it seems you're getting better in-ride performance at the cost of size and mass. I suspect this is aimed to bridge the gap between the 16" bikes and more off-road capable / gravel bikes for those who still need some semblance of folding but require something more capable in use; such as bike-packers who still need to take the bike on various forms of mass transport such as trains / planes and buses.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
15kg, farking hell that's 50-66% heavier than "normal" one. You don't want to be carrying it far. It also significantly heavier than a dahon ect 20" folder which are way way cheaper.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
15kg, farking hell that's 50-66% heavier than "normal" one. You don't want to be carrying it far. It also significantly heavier than a dahon ect 20" folder which are way way cheaper.

Yep that's pretty heavy.
My Tern Verge D9 is just under 13kgs but with a road set up rather then the Brompton's Gravel, thicker tyre set up.
Half the price too, though the Brompton wins on the fold natch.

Dadam

Über Member
Interesting but doesn't look to bring much to the party to tempt me from my ID9. It even looks not that far off the folded dimensions (though I need to measure it again to check though) and is a lot heavier; I weighed mine at 11.8 kg but I think my luggage scales under-read slightly.

Kell

Veteran

They must have got lighter...

My six-speed 2015 (mudguards but no rack) is 12.9kg. I see the current C-Line 6-speed is listed at 11.35. With Mudguards and no rack.

I'd really like the same option of mudguards and no rack tbh.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

IIRC the standard C-line is about 12kg give or take, so it's actually more like 25% more.

Still wouldn't fancy carting one about, mind..

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They must have got lighter...

My six-speed 2015 (mudguards but no rack) is 12.9kg. I see the current C-Line 6-speed is listed at 11.35. With Mudguards and no rack.

I'd really like the same option of mudguards and no rack tbh.

Mine is about 9kg SL3 from 2005. A P-line is 10kg nowadays

a.twiddler

Veteran
Basically, a gravel bike that folds, and has the Brompton name on it. It's a bit of a lump, though, and buyers will need some convincing. The Brilliant Bikes presenter is about the same height as me, and by contrast the bike looks enormous. 20" wheels in the run of things are quite small, and only tend to look big compared with the original 16" ones but the need for fat tyres to convince potential buyers of its off road aspirations tends to pump up the dimensions.

Although it's a 20" wheeler will rail companies accept it as luggage like the original which is rack -friendly, or will it just be another folder which could be borderline for acceptance on a crowded train? If it's a case of just getting it into the boot of a car, there is plenty of cheaper and lighter competition.

Top Bottom