Proper Holdsworth Bikes are back! And I'm in love ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I rode Holdsworths on and off from about 1975 to 1988. They were cheap. Dead cheap. Cheaper than Claud Butler, Cheaper than Raliegh, but not anything like as good. Way too much flex, forks that vibrated like tuning forks, creaky bb shells. The aluminium Dawes Hybrid I bought in 1994 was a better bike.

The odd thing is that Holdsworth was, at the time, widely despised because they snapped up the names of small frame makers from around South London and then put the transfers on their own frames.

Then again........bikes were rubbish then. You could buy a Campag chainset and sheer all five bolts on the spider at the same time. The Alan Carbonio, the bike of my dreams, but remained a dream because it cost £800 when I was earning £100 a week, could give you whitefinger in a single day. Weinmann centrepull brakes.......there was only one kind of skid mark you were ever going to get out of those. Wheel rims were made of cheese until Mavic made the box section affordable. And don't start me off on the Kirk Precision..........

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I rode Holdsworths on and off from about 1975 to 1988. They were cheap. Dead cheap. Cheaper than Claud Butler, Cheaper than Raliegh, but not anything like as good. Way too much flex, forks that vibrated like tuning forks, creaky bb shells. The aluminium Dawes Hybrid I bought in 1994 was a better bike.

The odd thing is that Holdsworth was, at the time, widely despised because they snapped up the names of small frame makers from around South London and then put the transfers on their own frames.

Then again........bikes were rubbish then. You could buy a Campag chainset and sheer all five bolts on the spider at the same time. The Alan Carbonio, the bike of my dreams, but remained a dream because it cost £800 when I was earning £100 a week, could give you whitefinger in a single day. Weinmann centrepull brakes.......there was only one kind of skid mark you were ever going to get out of those. Wheel rims were made of cheese until Mavic made the box section affordable. And don't start me off on the Kirk Precision..........

At last! A counter to 'the older I get the better things were' brigade.

Agree with the sentiments there, the bikes of my youth were often poorly made and didn't last - which is why you see so few of the "Steel will last a lifetime" contraptions around now despite being made in their millions.

You've posted before about your Kirk, Dell. What exactly was wrong with it?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What I'd like to try is a modern steelie in a high-spec tubeset, and see how that compares to my old Thorn and the Wilier. Maybe the best of both worlds?
I've an 853 Equilibrium. I'm a big unit, as you know, and am packing about a stone more than usual for this time of year at present. The ride is compliant, but the frame is flexible. Honking is quiet special. But I'm not towing around a pile of lugs. Except on the fork.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and I'd be tempted by a Planet-X Holdsworth, as a very best of sunday best bike. I think these made in italy by artisans ones - if that is the truth - will be future classics.

Aniello

Regular
I read on an article somewhere that yes the frames are being made in Italy.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Great stuff but when are they bringing back Carltons?

My first proper 'racing bike' age 12, sob...

albeit ancient even then

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whilst only 531 (which is pretty damn nice ride-wise), the lug detailing and paintwork is pretty extensive and I'm guessing here is a notable part of the price. A grand will buy you a custom made 853 frame only in one colour only from the likes of Rourke. Whilst it's a better frameset - add fork, headset, transfers, polished lugs, chrome ends the price really adds up.
Had I not already bought a new frame, I'd be seriously tempted, I reckon the price is pretty good and they should fly off the shelves.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
At last! A counter to 'the older I get the better things were' brigade.
Well maybe ....
My 1950s Holdsworth is still a lovely bike to ride and my 1980s Holdsworth is my choice over my lighter, stiffer 2004 Giant TCR. Compared to my friends recently purchased Carbon Pinarello though ....
Dell has a certain point, but compared to a lot of bikes of the time (and I rose a few horrors) the ubiquitous Holdsworths and Clauds were pretty good.

Aniello

Regular
There's a recently formed Carlton group on Facebook and some of the members are writing a letter to Raleigh on the lights of what PlanetX is doing with Holdsworth, asking them if they'd consider doing something similar.

Top Bottom