Proper Holdsworth Bikes are back! And I'm in love ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
but will these match the real feel of a good old retro 531 ??
If the construction and tubes are the same, no reason why not.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Me and my brother had joint ownership of a Holdsworth 10 speed orange coloured machine in the 1970's. I did miles on that bike then when he started at college he sold it to pay of some student debt or something similar and i never saw it again.....the ~@#!!:headshake:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I think a lot of people like the brand and also hanker for the 531 rides of their youth!
Quite right.

I love the colours of the Cyclone & that would be the one for me (if I had any pennies).

The Rourke you have ordered will be much more special I think though.

My long term dream will remain a Rourke or Feather, there's something about a bike being uniquely built & painted how you dream it to be.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
but will these match the real feel of a good old retro 531 ??
Sorry @biggs682 have to agree with @Fab Foodie 531 is 531, same Reynolds tubing & to my mind possibly even better than old retro.

No rust issues (as it's new) maybe even cold drawn that little bitter thinner gauge & if built by artisans then it's a win, win.

There will of course always be the market for that old rare, original classic that you just couldn't afford as a kid & the sentiment is good.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I must admit that my experience of steel is limited. As a yoof I had a succession of steel roadsters and racers but I had no appreciation of ride quality. Then 20 years after returning to cycling through mountain biking I bought a 1990 Harry Hall in Columbus SLX as a trainer but it really beat me up as it was terribly harsh. I tried a trip on a skinny steel tandem and found it absolutely terrifying, the frame flexed as if the two of us were sitting astride a farm gate.

So when the first carbon bike came along with its compact gears and smooth ride I was smitten. I would love to ride a classic steel bike built for comfort, just to see how it feels. Saw a lovely Rourke recently and I do think it would be great to own one.

U

User482

So when the first carbon bike came along with its compact gears and smooth ride I was smitten. I would love to ride a classic steel bike built for comfort, just to see how it feels. Saw a lovely Rourke recently and I do think it would be great to own one.
I have an old Thorn Audax built with lugged 531c by Lee Cooper (so I'm told). It's wonderfully comfortable on a long ride, and just seems to eat up the miles. On the other hand, I was descending Waddington Fell recently, in excess of 50mph, and it was absolutely terrifying - I could actually feel the rear triangle flexing in the crosswind! It's a complete contrast with my modern Wilier CF bike, which felt absolutely planted on the Alpine descents I rode last summer, and the frame is about half the weight.

What I'd like to try is a modern steelie in a high-spec tubeset, and see how that compares to my old Thorn and the Wilier. Maybe the best of both worlds?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I have an old Thorn Audax built with lugged 531c by Lee Cooper (so I'm told). It's wonderfully comfortable on a long ride, and just seems to eat up the miles. On the other hand, I was descending Waddington Fell recently, in excess of 50mph, and it was absolutely terrifying - I could actually feel the rear triangle flexing in the crosswind! It's a complete contrast with my modern Wilier CF bike, which felt absolutely planted on the Alpine descents I rode last summer, and the frame is about half the weight.

What I'd like to try is a modern steelie in a high-spec tubeset, and see how that compares to my old Thorn and the Wilier. Maybe the best of both worlds?
Yum, yum, Wilier, I do like a Wilier.

Genesis build the Genesis Madison Race Team bike from Reynolds 953 currently the highest grade Reynolds tubing.

From memory I think it weighs around 1500 - 1600g for a medium frame so about half a kilo more than a middle grade carbon frame.

Looks the nutz too.

On the other hand, I was descending Waddington Fell recently, in excess of 50mph, and it was absolutely terrifying - I could actually feel the rear triangle flexing in the crosswind! It's a complete contrast with my modern Wilier CF bike, which felt absolutely planted on the Alpine descents I rode last summer, and the frame is about half the weight.

A few years back one of the mags put a couple of current pros on early nineties top end bikes to see how they compared to modern CF kit. They both said the same as you, terrifying on fast descents and they didn't know how people rode them back then.

Top Bottom