One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Those wheelarches spoil it.

Classic car flares imho.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The 1980's are calling

IMG_20240907_135555022_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240907_135608328_HDR.jpg

I spotted this a few months ago in a private garage and have been waiting for it to make an on road appearance, but didn't expect to see it in a used car lot. DVLA have it as a 2.0 and green!
Dull, boring and rare with only 20 Montegos road registered at the end of the first quarter of this year. It also becomes exempt from VED in 3.5 years (assuming it lasts that long)

The 1980's are calling

View attachment 744357

View attachment 744358
I spotted this a few months ago in a private garage and have been waiting for it to make an on road appearance, but didn't expect to see it in a used car lot. DVLA have it as a 2.0 and green!
Dull, boring and rare with only 20 Montegos road registered at the end of the first quarter of this year. It also becomes exempt from VED in 3.5 years (assuming it lasts that long)

It's well past the time it should have survived. It'll probably go on forever.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Chatted to the owner of this Slough-built Light 15. It has the original engine which he rebuilt, and was an unwitting auction purchase.
PXL_20240909_113554176.MP.jpg

25 minutes later it had been replaced by this Riley. The owner might have to resort to the starting handle, as he'd left the lights on.
PXL_20240909_115632581~2.jpg

PXL_20240909_115658512~2.jpg

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The 1980's are calling

View attachment 744357

View attachment 744358

The diesel van version of the Maestro was a superb vehicle

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The diesel van version of the Maestro was a superb vehicle

We had a turbo diesel Maestro as a pool car at work. No power at all below 2000 revs then the turbo kicked in like a switch before running out of go at 4000 revs. Much fun trying to keep it in the correct rev range.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Much beloved (as was the Montego diesel for transplanting into 'Series' Land-Rovers

the "traditional" Perkins transplant into old landies was the rather older 4.203 (4 cylinder, 203 cu inches). The direct injection Perkins in the Maestro was a much more modern unit. I'd have thought it'd be trickier to fit that in a landie as it's a transverse front wheel drive set up. Not to say it was never done of course as there are plenty of smart people !

Last edited:
the "traditional" Perkins transplant into old landies was the rather older 4.203 (4 cylinder, 203 cu inches). The direct injection Perkins in the Maestro was a much more modern unit. I'd have thought it'd be trickier to fit that in a landie as it's a transverse front wheel drive set up. Not to say it was never done of course as there are plenty of smart people !
Yes, the 4.203 was the usual engine of choice

A couple of companies manufactured conversions for the Maestro diesel (inc bell-housing adapter)
Milner Engineering(?) springs to mind

A few ‘series 1’ Range Rovers also got a Perkins diesel; the 6.354!!!!!
It was a very tight squeeze longitudinally, having come from Combines

Plus, the ‘York’, as used in the Ford A-Series

Last edited:
Top Bottom