New Style of Repair-only bike shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Fettle", a new outfit opened in my city, doing only bike repairs with a collect from home option. Looks to be a useful service. The only error is not opening until 9.00am so no pre work dropoffs or pickups.
I hope the economics work out OK.
Are these types of bike service centres without bike sales, a thing now?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd have called it "Fondle." Would have drummed up a bit of business,

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have two bike shops locally that either only sell second hand, or nothing at all.

My favourite talks about the constraints on being a distributor, including stock held, floor space used, etc. And then of course no one wants to pay full price, or spends hours going through the options and sizes, only to buy from the internet because it is cheaper.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It’s owned by European Tyre Enterprise Limited that run KWIK FIT as well as other brands.

That's depressing; and certainly one to avoid then!

This example aside it makes perfect sense as it's labour-heavy and doesn't require the expenditure / space / grief / risk associated with holding new stock.

I guess potentially it'll end up like the car market - brands being sold new through franchised dealers with third parties offering used sales / repair across the board. Does beg the question of where the smaller / niche marques fit in..

Brandane

Legendary Member
There is a similar thing local to me, but not a shop as such. Just a one man operation working from his house garage, with a van offering a pick up and drop off service. He used to operate a "proper" LBS but it wasn't doing enough business to pay for the premises, so this was his solution. Seems to do well enough out of it, but he is a person with plenty of cash reserves anyway, so this is more of a hobby than a business upon which he relies for an income. Have never used him (or any other bike shop) for many years now as I do all my own repairs and maintenance.

Emanresu

I've tried a mobile bike mechanic who comes and takes the bike away and returns it with the bill. About the same cost as an LBS.

For some reason I still prefer the local LBS which I suppose comes down to personal preference.

wafter

Why if they're qualified bike mechanics?

They've been around in London for a number of years

Because presumably Sh*t-Fit's mechanics are "qualifited" too, and anyone with experience / in the trade typically won't trust them to repair their way out of a paper bag.

Plus it's not just a question of competenc, but also ethics - I know of people who've gone into Sh*t-Fit with recently-renewed brakes and been told they're old, worn out and need replacing. I suspect that's probably a top-down issue so likely to afflict anything associated with the company.

Gunk

Guru
I’m thinking of setting up from home next year, I’m taking Cytec 1 soon and volunteering at our local bike charity so I’m gaining some valuable experience working in a proper commercial Workshop rather than just farting about with bikes at home. I just want to do it on a small scale, and here in Oxford I think there definitely is a gap in the market for a more personal, higher quality repair service.

wafter

I’m thinking of setting up from home next year, I’m taking Cytec 1 soon and volunteering at our local bike charity so I’m gaining some valuable experience working in a proper commercial Workshop rather than just farting about with bikes at home. I just want to do it on a small scale, and here in Oxford I think there definitely is a gap in the market for a more personal, higher quality repair service.

I think there are potentially a few mobile ones already; but if you can have a stab at it with minimal outlay / commitment why not? :smile:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's

Thought about doing it myself a few years ago and talked to a couple of cyclists I now about it and deemed it not worth it.
Mainly due to the hidden cost ie insurance etc etc

wafter

Thought about doing it myself a few years ago and talked to a couple of cyclists I now about it and deemed it not worth it.
Mainly due to the hidden cost ie insurance etc etc

I've considered it too; however every time I need to do something on my own gear I'm reminded of how (usually at least) I bloody hate working on bikes..

Top Bottom