New Style of Repair-only bike shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
That's depressing; and certainly one to avoid then!

This example aside it makes perfect sense as it's labour-heavy and doesn't require the expenditure / space / grief / risk associated with holding new stock.

I guess potentially it'll end up like the car market - brands being sold new through franchised dealers with third parties offering used sales / repair across the board. Does beg the question of where the smaller / niche marques fit in..

NO!
I've used Fettle and in my case they were good and sorted an ebike problem buried in the software.
I'd use them again, the good guys in the Dulwich Branch.

Gwylan

Veteran
Because presumably Sh*t-Fit's mechanics are "qualifited" too, and anyone with experience / in the trade typically won't trust them to repair their way out of a paper bag.

Plus it's not just a question of competenc, but also ethics - I know of people who've gone into Sh*t-Fit with recently-renewed brakes and been told they're old, worn out and need replacing. I suspect that's probably a top-down issue so likely to afflict anything associated with the company.

And this is based on experience of the named supplier?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
And this is based on experience of the named supplier?

Yes, and a significant amount of time linked to the motor trade. As per my original post I can't speak for the bike side of it, but don't hold out a lot of hope given their association.

freiston

Veteran
I have a vague recollection of buying miscellaneous small spare bits from a bloke who ran a repair-only business from a shed in his back garden, in Swaffham, back in 1980. I was cycle-camping with two others, one of whom had a bike in such a state of disrepair that it didn't make the second day without some serious "renovation". The other lad and I left him at the roadside whilst we went into Swaffham looking for a bike shop. As I recall it, it was half day closing and a local bobby gave us the address of the shed man.

grldtnr

Über Member
Someone had to do it!

Attachments

• mpythonbicyclerepairman(0).jpg
    mpythonbicyclerepairman(0).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 8

grldtnr

Über Member
Actually ,for a LBS , I think it makes perfect sense to do repairs only, a good business model, you don't need to stock bikes, less floorspace, you don't even need fancy well lit and heated premises, so saves on a overheads of a shop.
Here in 'Sarfend', we have a sprinkling of such businesses, and a few Second hand bike shops, one which deals primarily in '60's '70's& '80's stuff , some very nice bikes to lust over , but being a tall bugger ,most are too small, but the main business is repair

Top Bottom