Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I joke but the measures in this pub are the same 35ml we get at home. Over the years I have seen ones use 25ml.

My gripe is with the glass which is designed in such a way that it's nearly impossible to drink out of it!

When I think further on this it gives away my agedness. In Scotland a standard measure was a quarter gill but in England it was one fifth so smaller. No idea about Ireland tho’.
The glass design is probably to allow a better nose sensation before drinking with just a little water added. You swill it around the glass as well to release more of the various aroma constituents.
I mixed with professionals in this field but I was more involved with PBS ie Plain British Spirit which is whisky less than 3 years in oak cask.

gbb

Squire
Sunday lunch prepared and cooked by my good self for 4 children and four adults.
Turkey! We were given a turkey crown just after we brought our Xmas bird so it's sat in the freezer ever since.
Came out quite juicy with all the trimmings...
Roast potatoes, mash, swede, carrots, cabbage, stuffing calls and Yorkshire puddings.

The best bit ?
Turkey in gravy and chips with loads of vinegar tomorrow ....yay.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Out early to Lidl for shopping before heading for the ferry.
Got round Lidl quicker than expected so headed for the terminal to see if I could get an earlier boat on standby.
Got on ok but you need good clutch control to get into a spot a couple of inches from somebody else’s bumper and a crew member guiding indicating how much space was left to travel using a one finger signal.
Several tour buses on the ferry so the lift deposited me at the main seating area with every seat filled with the pests. Tried the bar and the same story before the cafeteria also packed. They just sit there like dummies until the announcement comes for vehicle drivers and passengers to go to the car deck. Chaos erupts and they start running around like headless chickens tho’ they use the passenger exit to reboard their buses on land.

dicko

Guru
Playing the Cajon before dinner.

IMG_4082.jpeg

tom73

Guru
Busy old weekend shopping , baking for Mrs 73 to take to work, catch up on house work, more loads of washing as Mrs 73 is on a run of shifts so need to turnaround uniforms quick.
In all that I've enjoyed the nice weather, got wet in the less nice bits. Had to dig out my gilet it was a bit nippy round the house this morning.
Seen to Charlie and hit the gym my 5.30 this morning.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Evening hot chocolate has been drunk and enjoyed
Another weekend has gone way too quickly

tyred

Legendary Member
My running total for the three days is over 170miles to my surprise as I was going to have an easy day but meandering all over the island without a plan added up, it seems. At least yesterday's horrible head wind is gone.

On a whim, I attended church this morning as I happened to be passing one at starting time. I always wanted to see how a Church of Scotland service differed from my Ulster Presbyterian upbringing. I felt a big out of place in cycling kit!

Later when I was exploring, a grave yard gate fell of its hinges when I opened it and it was not easy sorting it out on my own, but I would never leave it lying on the ground.

Now at a traditional music session.

tyred

Legendary Member
When I think further on this it gives away my agedness. In Scotland a standard measure was a quarter gill but in England it was one fifth so smaller. No idea about Ireland tho’.
The glass design is probably to allow a better nose sensation before drinking with just a little water added. You swill it around the glass as well to release more of the various aroma constituents.
I mixed with professionals in this field but I was more involved with PBS ie Plain British Spirit which is whisky less than 3 years in oak cask.

I only ever remember a 35ml measure for spirits in my lifetime. That gives twenty measures from a typical 70CL bottle of spirits.

I doubt my palette is educated enough to know much about nose sensation. I just want something to drink which isn't paint stripper.

With my sinuses issues, my sense of smell probably isn't good enough to appreciate the aromatic side of things anyway.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Glad I took a thin fleece jacket and a windproof with me today - with the wind & cloud it turned into quite a chilly afternoon on the back straight banking at Snetterton. Racing wasn't too bad, but I did read quite a bit of the current issue of Private Eye that I'd taken with me during the on-track action.

Top Bottom