Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh dear, one of the neighbours is singing in the shower. They are terrible.

A hot and sunny day here chez Casa Reynard.

Sleep was middling. Have had a busy morning carrying on with stuff. My white coat has been laundered, but is hanging up to dry in the bathroom - that's one of the items I won't dare to hang outside. All the planters have been watered - my tomato plants are now covered in flowers and the strawberries are ripening apace. Some more clearing up in the utility room has been done.

I've also measured up both the door to the utility room and the old fridge and freezer stack. I don't think I'll have any issues regarding the new fridge freezer, both when it comes to getting it through the door and putting it in the space available. I've decided to go for the Beko as there's not that much choice at the circa £400 price point I'm looking at (I don't want one with a water dispenser, which removes the majority of the options), and from the reviews the Beko is very much a "does exactly what it says on the tin" kind of thing. Irritatingly, whichever place has it in stock has a stack of extra charges to add on, which include delivery, set up and carting away the old stuff. However, even with all that included, it still works out cheaper than the Bosch I was also looking at.

This afternoon's tasks include more clearing up and cooking those two gammons. I will do those sequentially, and I can do other stuff while they simmer away in the stock.

One of these days, it would be nice to say hello to @Jenkins as he cycles past.

Is it a bit like Perry Mason where each member of his staff fill in a bit of the story to let you know what's going on?

Perhaps that's why some modern programmes confuse people as they don't stick to the Perry Mason story telling.

No, nothing like that. This particular character in the present day part of the story (Hannah Marks, very loosely based on a composite between Jade Edwards and Jake Hill) is considerably younger than all the other characters. So she hasn't lived through or was too young to be aware of some of the events that form a good part of the back story. Ergo her understanding and opinions regarding those events is completely different to that of Lisa (my main character) or Poots.

In a way, it's sort of like the perception of Ayrton Senna or Gilles Villeneuve by the modern generation of motor racing fans versus the opinions of the people who actually experienced that era of racing first hand. It's actually quite marked on social media, and so it's a good thing to weave that dichotomy into the story. And it's partly that conflict which makes the character of Hannah not just a good antagonist, but also a good way of building that back story into the plot.

The antagonist in the segment of the story set in the past is totally different - there, it's the far more straightforward issue of another girl being interested in the same bloke, with all the posturing and territorial trumpeting that this kind of thing involves.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Managed to get a trike run at last tho’ there were a couple of spits of rain at the higher parts but nothing serious. Still cold at 1000 but one female cyclist passed wearing shorts while I am still in longs with gloves as well.
Too much traffic for comfort.
We tried to work out why traffic levels vary so much but were never able to get an answer over several years walking on this bit of road.
Noticed a cruise liner outside the bay but went by car down the town anyway.
The cruise ship seemed to fill the whole width of the entrance to the bay and the passenger numbers ashore were almost beyond belief.
The carriageway was jammed with them and they all assume they have the right to block the street.

Vehicle parking nose in seems to attract a certain kind of idiot.
You are blind on both sides so when leaving reverse straight out as fast as possible and hope nothing is passing.
Ideal vehicle is at least 7 meters long with either a large bike rack or lifting tailgate which you leave sticking out into the carriageway.
It is times like this which are getting more common that I would happily leave my home of over 50 years due to the sheer unpleasantness and overcrowding we are expected to endure.

Medivac helicopter just landed on the school playing fields a couple of hundred yards away.

Top Bottom