Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Trouble is that some either chance it or do not read the signs. Connel Bridge is marked clearly and they still get stuck on a regular basis. The detour is via Glencoe and I have had in the past had to do over 60 miles to a destination half a mile north of the bridge. The bridge was still closed when I eventually reached my destination.
The last one was a static caravan on a truck. :wacko:
My car has all this safety stuff that's constantly beeping at me - if I stop too close to the car in front or if a pedestrian/cyclist walks in front of the car while queuing at a red light, etc. Surely some kind of sonar sensor could be fixed to trailers to give a last chance alarm. Obviously, it's best if the driver is alert but these things do keep happening.

Mike_P

Guru
My car has all this safety stuff that's constantly beeping at me - if I stop too close to the car in front or if a pedestrian/cyclist walks in front of the car while queuing at a red light, etc. Surely some kind of sonar sensor could be fixed to trailers to give a last chance alarm. Obviously, it's best if the driver is alert but these things do keep happening.

Would not such go off at every over bridge and across road sign? Maybe the solution would be sensors on the bridge detecting the height of approaching vehicles and flashing red lights is one is too high.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Would not such go off at every over bridge and across road sign? Maybe the solution would be sensors on the bridge detecting the height of approaching vehicles and flashing red lights is one is too high.

The safety stuff has gradations from gentle warning to urgent - slow beeps, fast beeps, constant beep - which could indicate limited clearance, very limited clearance, crunch ahead.

classic33

Leg End Member
Helps the drivers if those responsible for putting the markings in place remember a yard, three feet, is smaller than a metre, three foot three.
Not much difference, but on a four metre clearance, it adds up.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We have a very low bridge, (Under 3m) near work, that regularly gets whacked. Apparently last week someone drove a 4x4 under and hit the bridge so hard the doors flew open and the tyres burst.

Whoops!

Oddly, the low bridge here in Ely hasn't been whacked recently.

Trouble is that some either chance it or do not read the signs. Connel Bridge is marked clearly and they still get stuck on a regular basis. The detour is via Glencoe and I have had in the past had to do over 60 miles to a destination half a mile north of the bridge. The bridge was still closed when I eventually reached my destination.
The last one was a static caravan on a truck. :wacko:

For anyone interested (yawn) in the London Lorry Control legislation, and an interactive map thereof.... ~ Here it is ~

Our trucks have a bridge height warning system. It can be useful, with caveats: ie the bridge isn't necessarily on the road you're travelling, but could be somewhere in the vicinity.
The law is that trucks must have a height marker visible within the cab and be set to the height of the box, or trailer being pulled. You MUST know the height of the trailer but it is not law to have the height marked up ON the trailer.
Scania 5th wheels are 1295mm. MAN, Volvo & Mecs are 1250mm.
Some trailers are marked as 14'4" on a 5th Wheel height of 1295mm. Some are marked just as 14'4" (or whatever) Occasionally, the sticker is in Metric, but not often.
This is part of route calculations while you are driving around keeping an eye out for idiots.

You can wake up now 😂

Mike_P

Guru
The law is that trucks must have a height marker visible within the cab and be set to the height of the box, or trailer being pulled.
But does that require it to be immediately adjacent to the drivers line of sight. Buses for instance typically have it above the driver's window and it's not unknown for a bus driver to forget it's a double decker they are driving.

There was a low railway bridge in Nottingham that was regularly struck. One bus operator had all its services passing under it so had built it's garage to the same height which caused the necessary low height buses to be purchased after the bridge was demolished. Before that another operator baffled them by appearing to run a full height bus under it. It transpired they had the bridge height measured and discovered the clearance was greater than signed such that they could design a slightly lower bus than norm which appeared to be the norm unless parked alongside one.

Wonder how many bridge strikes are down to a driver getting use to passing under a bridge that is marked too low and then coming unstuck on one that is correctly marked.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@deptfordmarmoset - the Honda CR-V I won does the same, along with telling me off if my driving is poor. I can't turn the stuff off and basically I drive too fast / too close / too stupidly / etc. However it gets confused with cars in other lanes so I'm rarely doing any of the things I'm being told off for doing. It's like being at home with SWMBO.

Oh, and because I did my tax return last night she did hers this morning. Only she struggled, with it ending up being me who did most of the completion; the benefit of having a tax accountant as a parent. One thing: My refund is going into our joint account, SWMBO's is going into her private one!

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
But does that require it to be immediately adjacent to the drivers line of sight. Buses for instance typically have it above the driver's window and it's not unknown for a bus driver to forget it's a double decker they are driving.

There was a low railway bridge in Nottingham that was regularly struck. One bus operator had all its services passing under it so had built it's garage to the same height which caused the necessary low height buses to be purchased after the bridge was demolished. Before that another operator baffled them by appearing to run a full height bus under it. It transpired they had the bridge height measured and discovered the clearance was greater than signed such that they could design a slightly lower bus than norm which appeared to be the norm unless parked alongside one.

Wonder how many bridge strikes are down to a driver getting use to passing under a bridge that is marked too low and then coming unstuck on one that is correctly marked.

The adjustable marker must be visible to the driver. Ours are on the nearside just above the n/s window where we can see it as the n/s mirror is checked.

Top Bottom