Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was bikes from the 70's to 80's
Raleigh
Carlton
Dawes
Falcon
Claud Butler
Coventry Eagle
Holdsworth
Viking
Harry Quinn
Unless they included British Eagle as a separate company or listed Reynolds as I can only find 9. I might have miss read the title and it might just have been top British brands. My brain isn't working.
I would have included Freddie Grubb.

Of the list I can only tick Dawes (twice) and Raleigh. I still have the Raleigh, along with a Thorn, a Bob Jackson, a Mercian, and a Shand.

Gwylan

Veteran
Up at the same time as usual but it seemed lighter this morning?!
Cats fed, fish fed, bin out (don't worry it'll not blow over), outside birds nuts & niger seed topped up and the Belgian Dubbel beer kit I made last night is fermenting away nicely 🍻.

Re beer is that like Duvel?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a Flying Scot which wasn't on the list.

My Flying Scot which dated from about 1955 has gone off to a new home with a guy who lived in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and collects Flying Scot bikes. He has now moved to I think Berwick but I don’t think the same person as mentioned by Flick of the Elbow as he was a plumber to trade.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A dismal day with nothing useful done.
When I was out getting blood taken I intended to get diesel in the car. The rain got heavier when I arrived at the pumps so abandoned that idea. I have tried using the card payment in the rain before and with rain blurring my vision it was a nightmare to feed in pin no etc.
I have been wearing trousers with cargo pockets which was handy for my specs but just now in jeans so nowhere handy to put the specs.
There is no alternative for fuel here now and it is pay by card outside at the pumps or no fuel.

I need to find something to do over winter and I have long considered starting on a science fiction/ fantasy story of which I have quite a lot in my head. Not so easy getting it down on paper tho’.

postman

Squire
What a great day out to York,or should i say outskirts of York.First we collected Mrs P's sister who lives in a very nice village outside of York,where it does not flood.She took us to the local cafe and introduced us.Then after dropping her off back home we went to the coffee company and picked up our order,our coffee it seems is roasted every three months and to save it going allover the country we have decided to collect from now on.Then a retail park MacArthur Glen for some retail therapy,Mrs P wanted a certain Dr Marten boot,and she wanted to try some on rather than order online and not get a good fit,which turned out to be a good decision,she bought a really nice boot.Now Postman started to mooch,looking at a Chelsea boot.Well the young sales person directed me eventually to the bottom of the store where discounted past years unsold stock was on offer,Postman bought a pair of Dr Marten shoes for £55 these are going to be the family Xmas gift,it was wonderful to be out,i noticed i was one of only a handful of people wearing a mask.Not for Covid but just to make sure i don't catch an infection,it was interesting to see so many people looking at me.

But are you their friend ?

haven't tried those
1699985232379.png

1699985253425.png

Had a lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal toast, one with mortadella, the other with stilton (white with ginger & mango, it's well worth trying if you can get it), plus an apple, a pear and two :cuppa:

Wood all sawn up. As expected it took me twice as long to tidy up and make ready for the next lot than it took me to actually cut the stuff; 15 mins for the cutting, half an hour to stack in the garage, sweep up the sawdust and dispose in the green bin, and then pile the small stuff onto the saw horse so that the trailer is empty and ready to use tomorrow.

Had a lovely :cuppa: and two biskits while watching the evening news.

I used to like the sugar free mint ones (peppermint, not spearmint, there's two kinds), but couldn't get them at all during lockdown, so started buying Menthos in Tesco. I found a packet in my cat show kit and tasted them again after a long time of partaking of regular mints, and I realised just how vile the sugar free ones actually are.

I'd been sitting indoors watching the rain for so long that I had to go out when the sun came out. An early pre -dinner pint seemed appropriate. I just paid £3.04 for a pint of bitter. Made me all nostalgic!
View attachment 713475

My dad used to insist on those dimpled pint mugs whenever he went to the pub or got a beer on the cross-channel ferries. He hated the standard straight-sided glasses.

Top Bottom