M.O.T. roulette - place your bets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
An update on the Mini, just got it back after three days in the garage, an eye watering bill, but it’s had a new genuine cat and oxygen sensor fitted plus they sorted out an oil leak from the Oil filter housing gasket (all common problems) so it now has 12 months MOT with no advisories.

Great result!
But IME, every oil filter comes with a new rubber gasket, so i suspect you're talking about something else?

Gunk

Guru
Great result!
But IME, every oil filter comes with a new rubber gasket, so i suspect you're talking about something else?

It was the housing gasket

CXRAndy

Guru
This is where Tesla turned the auto industry on its head.

No service schedules and all updates done over the air to customers at home.

Legacy manufacturers have been pulling the trousers and skirts down of owners forever with ridiculous hourly charge rates.

EVs don't need that much servicing

lazybloke

Considering a new username
This is where Tesla turned the auto industry on its head.

No service schedules and all updates done over the air to customers at home.

Legacy manufacturers have been pulling the trousers and skirts down of owners forever with ridiculous hourly charge rates.

EVs don't need that much servicing
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Cost of oil seal for the mini? Pennies (or part of the service).
Cost to replace mini with Tesla? List price, £40,000-60,000.

I do admire Tesla vehicles for some impressive innovation, and for demonstrating apparently good battery longevity. I might even want one myself if they had better styling, better build quality and fewer reliability concerns. Until that happens, I'd be tempted to stick with the mini or buy an EV from a manufacturer that understands customer service and reliabiliy.

I would avoid self-driving tech too. Fine to have safety features to stop drivers doing stupid things, but should you trust your life to a program that can't cope with faded lines, rain, etc?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Until that happens, I'd be tempted to stick with the mini or buy an EV from a manufacturer that understands customer service and reliabiliy.
That'll be Mini again. The most reliable EV on sale in the UK, and in my experience the customer service was unfailingly polite, friendly and efficient, and the dealer was actually nowhere near as expensive as the tightwads would have you believe.

Like the Tesla, servicing needs were minimal but only a fool doesn't get it in the air at least once a year to have parts checked for wear and security, and a 'service' plan to do this (and all the MOTs when it came of age, plus a huge bag of wax, shampoo, sdreenwash, that retailed at £70 on its own) was only a tenner a month. They also did any recalls etc at the same time, and the coffee was very nice.

I wasn't a huge fan of the autonomous tech but it was easy enough to switch off thst which I didn't like/trust in the Mini.

Miss mine terribly, but it had to go to make way for the camper.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
My daughter before getting a model Y, went to mini to try out their mini exclusive- largest battery.

It was really nice to drive, well put together.

But with two adult males in it too, it was so cramped for the front and rear passengers. It's ok for small people and commuting locally. Lacks decent range 185 miles.

I suggested she take the mini whilst on the test drive to see the local Tesla dealer. She has always wanted a model Y but thought she couldn't afford one.

She was quickly shown the PCP prices , (which were on 0% for September) with what deposit she had and the mileage she wanted per year.

Instantly she saw the price wasnt much more than mini on PCP, she dropped the mini off, placed her order for new MY

Rest is history

1000015571.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
185 miles is decent range...for a city car, which is exactly what it was advertised as! If that isn't acceptable then a city car is clearly not what people should be looking at in the first place,

I'm an extremely large chap and wasn't cramped. It was a ballache for a chap my size to climb in and out of, but my dimensions are hardly BMWs fault. Once inside it very comfortably accommodated all 6'4", 20 stone, and 54 chest-inches of me. My Brother is wven bigger than me and fitted in the passenger seat quute comfortably.

You wouldn't want to sit behind me, but then show me a B segment city car where a passenger could sit behind me without removing their legs first (there are none.)

Criticising a city car for having the characteristics of a city car is laughable. If a MY suits her needs then she daft to even consider a city car in the first place. Why criticise a portable tv for being what it is supposed to be, when a 60" wide-screen is what you need?

For me, as a 2nd (or 3rd depending on how you regard the Volvo in the pecking order) car doing mainly local journeys, usually with just me in the car, it was a dream...and took corners like no Tesla before or since.

If I needed to regularly seat 3 or 4 and some luggage and do longer journeys it would have been hopeless. But I don't, and many millions of others dont either, and that's why city cars exist.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
It was a ballache for a chap my size to climb in and out of,

That was my experience, its not a big car far larger folk. My son in law is 6'3" and he struggled to get in ,headroom is also compromised. It wasn't the right car, even as a intermediate vehicle before moving to a larger model Y which is not that much larger considering how spacious it is inside. It was the right decision to jump straight to a Y, she can commute and do long journeys to see friends etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, im bigger than he (and likely a lot less flexible) and with judicious wiggling of the seat up, down, fore aft, etc, found a very excellent seating position. As aforementioned, my Brother is bigger still, a fraction taller and 4mor 5 stones wider, and can be accommodated comfortably.

Again, we both huff and puff getting in and out, but our size is nothing to do with BMW city car design. We both suffer the same clambering into a Corsa or Fester or any B segment car. It's an inherent limitation of the type, not a fault of something lacking in the eesigworthy of criticism.

But again, criticising a small city car for being a small city car is an odd passtime.

The MY is undoubtedly the right car for your lass, which makes it call the more strange that she even fleetingly considered a small city car. Criticising an inappropriate vehicle for not being something it was never intended to be is just silly.

One of the reasons for buying a camper conversion instead of a motorhome is that is still just about usable for the occasional low mileage motoring I do. It's completely the wrong vehicle for it, it weighs 2.5 tonnes, is slow, ponderous, requires circumspection at max height barriers, is a bugger to park, but criticising it for not being a city car more appropriate that type of use would be ridiculous in the extreme. So I don't. I just accept that while it's usable it's really totally inappropriate, and VW are in no way responsible for that.

And that inadvertently highlights an issue with many car buyers. Most go shopping with only the vaguest notion of what the want and try to buy the shiniest most impressive vehicle for their budget. Few seem to take the time to sit down and write a list of essential and desirable criteria and then only consider vehicles that fit the list.

Your lass could save herself considerable time in the future for the sake of 5 minutes with a pen and an old envelope, and head straight for the D segment electric SUVs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom