Lael Wilcox around the world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
And even more amazing she doesn't wear padded shorts 🥴

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm thoroughly enjoying her daily podcasts - just 10 mins or so but really great. I listen on my drive to work each day and it's a great start to the day. This morning she described how Bordeaux is a bicycle city - I'm going there in the summer and it's made me very excited to visit.

Thanks for this - I was unaware!

Her route looks even odder than previous attempts I've read about. Big chunk of eurasia gets missed out - she flies Tbilisi-to-Perth. (I think she kinda makes up the minimum mileage by zigging upto North NED on this leg, then zagging down to Los Angeles on her final homebound leg).

Jenny Graham rode on land from Lisbon to Beijing (taking in Germany, Latvia, Russia and Mongoli - a proper trip!!!)

It's all subjective of course; the perfect route in the spirit of Phileas Fogg is impossible, and they are - at the end of the day - chasing records!

1717748847065.png

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Lael wrote about her kit choices on instagram and someone asked there about bib shorts. She‘s always ridden chamois-less apparently. Makes laundry much easier with wearing shorts instead. It would be useful for multiday trips but I suspect trying it might be painful.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks for this - I was unaware!

Her route looks even odder than previous attempts I've read about. Big chunk of eurasia gets missed out - she flies Tbilisi-to-Perth. (I think she kinda makes up the minimum mileage by zigging upto North NED on this leg, then zagging down to Los Angeles on her final homebound leg).

View attachment 733247

I think her route is WEIRD! Utterly weird! But I’m obviously still cheering her on!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Daily Average of 182.5 miles. With 48% of the time stopped. Her route choice seems to be working just fine for her target time.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Her route looks even odder than previous attempts I've read about.

It's unfortunately due to the current state of the world. I'd read she was understandably not comfortable traveling through Russia, there are also some land borders closed and as an American she couldn't travel through Iran, so it left her with few options.

Reading through Jenny Graham's book on her attempt, Russia stands out as quite a harrowing part of the ride for her and I certainly understand why, current world politics notwithstanding, you would want to avoid it.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's unfortunately due to the current state of the world. I'd read she was understandably not comfortable traveling through Russia, there are also some land borders closed and as an American she couldn't travel through Iran, so it left her with few options.

Reading through Jenny Graham's book on her attempt, Russia stands out as quite a harrowing part of the ride for her and I certainly understand why, current world politics notwithstanding, you would want to avoid it.

Of course! I should have thought of that!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yeah Russia or Iran or fly to Perth and make up miles elsewhere, seems like an obvious choice, She will probably on average encounter better road surfaces too by skipping chunks of Eurasia

Top Bottom