Just how bad are drivers, in general?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
^^ This, and you need to know how to override it temporarily if you're going to move precisely on a sloping road/driveway/ferry ramp.

I don't thing there is any way to override hill start assist on my wife's Nissan QQ.
It played havoc with me the first time i drove it in "stop start" traffic on a steep ramp. Took a little while to get used to it.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Please, please can we keep this constructive?
Taking shots at each other isn't going to help improve the situation out there.

I had a lady overtake me - black Mercedes SUV with a private plate. Thing was, I'd just reached the back of a traffic queue and she attempted her pass after I'd moved into primary position. She wound up stuck on the wrong side of the road. 🤦‍♂️

The lack of forward planning by some/many drivers when they overtake really is a problem.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I think so much also depends on the confidence of the cycle rider. Undoubtedly the general driving skills are a bit rubbish as is the learning process of learning to drive regarding other road users however.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I very very nearly smacked into the back of a Range Rover who'd just overtaken then jammed on the brakes. It was raining and brakes were poor in the wet back then so I ended up stopping beside her. She'd had to stop due to an oncoming vehicle - room for me but not two way traffic.

MGIFs are some of the worst. You get it as junctions as well when you’re within 10-20 metres. Just wait won’t you, instead of dangerous acceleration then braking into a T junction.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
MGIFs are some of the worst. You get it as junctions as well when you’re within 10-20 metres. Just wait won’t you, instead of dangerous acceleration then braking into a T junction.

I had a very bizarre overtake whilst riding in a traffic queue at more or less the speed limit; speed of the traffic at any rate. I left a sensible car's length gap and the guy following rather close behind decided to overtake, which he did very slowly and to be fair safely but wtaf?

I was on my 1000cc motorcycle at the time

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I'm not sure whether this is news or not without seeing the trend over time.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dvla-britain-dft-canada-australia-b1182865.html

I'd like to get a closer look at those statistics. What proportion of young drivers receive a DD40 (which is subtly different of DD40s issued to young drivers). I don't believe for a second that all young drivers are such risk takers and I think it is important to understand why a proportion of them are.

I also don't think there is much point in a Graduated Driving License (GDL) on account that a small engined small car still has potential to do a great deal of damage and they are still much more powerful than they were years ago.

Additionally, steep insurance premiums make the majority of 'faster' cars inaccessible to young drivers anyway.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom