Just a little insight.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Yes, like the video of the people playing basketball around a lift and nobody notices the gorilla. I get it. :thumbsup:

People often only see what they are expecting to see...

Yes, that's the one. :thumbsup:
You should put that joke in a spoiler! :okay: [Thanks]

I was gobsmacked the first time that I watched it. It dramatically proved its point to me...
Me too.

Even the fact you can't watch it without noticing the gorilla now tells us something about how the brain works. Fascinating really.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, like the video of the people playing basketball around a lift and nobody notices the gorilla. I get it. :thumbsup:
Ah, I missed your post!

All uphill

Still rolling along
This probably is the reason cycling in a city, where there are other cyclists, feels much safer than being solitary; drivers expect to see us, and do.

I remember cycling through Congleton years ago and feeling that I was invisible-a horrible sensation.

Gillstay

Veteran
I see the point being made, but still feel its just that your not a threat to someone when your on a cycle. So people feel they can get away with crowding you.
Some drivers will do it with a small motorcycle, but not a large one. Or with one motorbike but not several, even if they are old boys on vintage ones rather than Hells Angels. ^_^

mustang1

Legendary Member
So, making my way to the station in Warrington, I was almost taken out by a motorist. The rights and wrongs of it are pretty irrelevant to this thread as I knew immediately there were things I should have done differently but she did pull out on me.

The bit that really got me was that I made eye contact with her, and she still kept coming, absolutely no intention of stopping, and as I grabbed as much brake as I could, I even did that thing you do as a kid and use your feet for a brake and even then I thought she was going to hit me until I actually lifted the front end of my bike out her path.

She then just looked at me like she had stepped in something, which actually made me laugh out loud. She then reversed back into the junction she came from but never taking her eyes of me and muttering away to herself and giving me the death stare.

I would dearly love to sit down with someone like that and watch cctv footage and go over what was it they were feeling and thinking when she saw a cyclist coming down the road?

I realise you only have one version to go by, but believe me, if looks could kill, I'd be long gone.

I have seen this happen between two car drivers. I'm not sure if this is to do with you being on a bike (although maybe different triggers kick in for the driver like "screw that its only a cyclist" but I think drivers have e a brain fart and cannot contemplate that they should stay out.

Top Bottom