Jura Bourbon Cask malt......anyone tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
glenmorangie i love but mrs ck is too tight to buy it , i generally end up with stuff that is only palatable as a mixer :sad:

I buy that from Tesco when I see it on offer.
My normal whisky is bog standard Aldi blended which I have with lemonade.

Slick

Guru
I would like to mention a blended Monkey Shoulder,very nice and smooth.
I agree. It was a taster sampling at an airport somewhere and as nobody was too bothered, the guy was only too glad to get rid of it, and I was only too happy to oblige. :thumbsup:
My current favourite on my life long journey is Balvenie Double Wood, before that Craggenmore. Both Speyside malts.
I haven't tried the Cragganmore, but the Double Wood is lovely.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I tend to have a chuckle at posts regarding whisky after spending 20 years in the industry. While my main job was production I was involved in every aspect including blending.
We used to play tricks sometimes and presented people with 6 sample glasses to see if they could identify the contents. Hints were available in the form of various bottles in the background. Most found them all different and some got specific distilleries. In fact they all contained the same whisky from one bottle.
In a genuine test once the chief blender did not do too well and the best result was from an office junior. :laugh:
Our managing director described Laphroig as tasting like old socks steeped in disinfectant.
He was in fact an ex bootlegger from America and his contemporaries in the trade called him the Mad Chemist since we were always experimenting and looking for better ways of production.

Slick

Guru
I tend to have a chuckle at posts regarding whisky after spending 20 years in the industry. While my main job was production I was involved in every aspect including blending.
We used to play tricks sometimes and presented people with 6 sample glasses to see if they could identify the contents. Hints were available in the form of various bottles in the background. Most found them all different and some got specific distilleries. In fact they all contained the same whisky from one bottle.
In a genuine test once the chief blender did not do too well and the best result was from an office junior. :laugh:
Our managing director described Laphroig as tasting like old socks steeped in disinfectant.
He was in fact an ex bootlegger from America and his contemporaries in the trade called him the Mad Chemist since we were always experimenting and looking for better ways of production.

To be fair, he wasn't wrong about Laphroaig. :okay:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Inspired by the comments on here I have just poured myself a generous tot of Laphroaig 10yo 👍🥃😄

It's still quite reasonably priced for such a top dram too. But as I said upthread their "select" is minging

tyred

Legendary Member

When I spent a few days cycling around Islay and Jura last year, I was in a bar in Port Charlotte and there was a group of American "whisky tourists."

They were spending ages going over the whisky list, paying £80 or £90 a glass and throwing bank notes for tips at the barmaid like confetti.

They would spend ages sniffing it and sampling it and saying they could taste hints of whatever. I was trying to work out if they actually knew what they were talking about or just had more money than sense.

Slick

Guru
When I spent a few days cycling around Islay and Jura last year, I was in a bar in Port Charlotte and there was a group of American "whisky tourists."

They were spending ages going over the whisky list, paying £80 or £90 a glass and throwing bank notes for tips at the barmaid like confetti.

They would spend ages sniffing it and sampling it and saying they could taste hints of whatever. I was trying to work out if they actually knew what they were talking about or just had more money than sense.

I've seen the same myself a few times, but they are harmless and having fun, so no harm no foul in my book. Also, its a long winter anywhere in the UK, but its twice as long on any of these islands.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A group of friends had a whiskey tasting session one night - three single malts and one blended (Bells), just to see if there was any point in spending the extra money.

Decided after the first round (sip of each one) that there was a clear difference between the blended and single malt, and each single malt had a slightly different taste. By the end of the evening, one of us (not me) was convinced that the Bells was a good single malt.

Slick

Guru
A group of friends had a whiskey tasting session one night - three single malts and one blended (Bells), just to see if there was any point in spending the extra money.

Decided after the first round (sip of each one) that there was a clear difference between the blended and single malt, and each single malt had a slightly different taste. By the end of the evening, one of us (not me) was convinced that the Bells was a good single malt.

I know a few people who wouldn't touch a single, much preferring Bells.

There's no rules.

Top Bottom