Jura Bourbon Cask malt......anyone tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
Most Jura whiskies are a solid tipple. The bourbon cask aged is decent too. I can't really say it stands out from the normal range though.

I used to love Jura but I think it went downhill about 10-15 years ago... or my taste buds have changed. It's hard to say. Maybe a change in ownership has something to do with it.

I don't know about the ownership but they did change the product range a few years ago. I used to love Jura Superstition, it was one of my favourites.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
@Dave7 : Father's Day was yesterday.

How was it?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I like the ones that have what I call a sweeter taste......can't stand any peaty ones.

You might like this one : Glenfarclas 105; "105" being the strength in the old "degrees proof" system or 60% in new money. No age statement but a sweetish sherried rather good dram. Reasonably priced if you remember it's a litre's worth in a 70cl bottle so to speak. Normally worth diluting it a touch. As you can see, I am quite fond of it

Inspired by this I also had a rather dearer(but not silly money) Glenfarclas 15 year old. Yes it was very smooth but a bit lacking and unexciting.

I shall buy another 105 when this runs out but not the supposedly posher 15

8B6BAD8A-85F7-4CDE-8CD9-91BAC6EB8E5D.jpeg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You might like this one : Glenfarclas 105; "105" being the strength in the old "degrees proof" system or 60% in new money. No age statement but a sweetish sherried rather good dram. Reasonably priced if you remember it's a litre's worth in a 70cl bottle so to speak. Normally worth diluting it a touch. As you can see, I am quite fond of it

Inspired by this I also had a rather dearer(but not silly money) Glenfarclas 15 year old. Yes it was very smooth but a bit lacking and unexciting.

I shall buy another 105 when this runs out but not the supposedly posher 15

View attachment 734384

I hear the 105 is great, but the Glenfarclas Dura Ace is even better.

Slick

Guru
That's not personal preference, that is lack of taste buds. Like claiming a Wetherspoons meal is better than a Gastro Pub.

Great if you think that - you can save a lot of money.
I know a few people that wouldn't thank you for a quails egg either. :laugh:

I'll need to start hanging out with a better class of people in future. :rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A group of friends had a whiskey tasting session one night - three single malts and one blended (Bells), just to see if there was any point in spending the extra money.

Decided after the first round (sip of each one) that there was a clear difference between the blended and single malt, and each single malt had a slightly different taste. By the end of the evening, one of us (not me) was convinced that the Bells was a good single malt.

Whilst I am a little bit of a whisky snob
EE0A2892-E6BD-4E62-9931-EA36AF690586.jpeg

, I am keen on value to, as shown by the sub £20 Jameson's, which to be fair is perfectly nice. I think I've posted this comment before but I do find cheap whiskey Jameson's, Bushmills et a good bit better than cheap whisky like Bells or Teachers. (and I actually prefer Bushmills' cheaper white label to Black Bush their de luxe version, and was very underwhelmed by a bottle of their malt albeit some years back.

At the dearer end of my collection I very very much like Lagavoulin 16 (which sadly is now £90, though I managed to stock up with the last of the £50 run), and my wife's favourite an Cnoc 18, which is similarly priced and genuinely a lovely smooth rich sherried Speyside, and also the sadly now quite expensive Oban 14 (which I have run out of), At mid price (~£40 to £50 odd) I do like most of the Island malts: Ardbeg 5 "wee beastie" which though it has a youthful, dare I say roughness, is complex and interesting, their mainstream 10, Laphroig 10 (superb value often under £40) Highland Park, Jura 10, Talisker 10, Caol Ila 10, Welsh Penderyn Sherry, or Madera Cask (both often on special offer), and Raasay (a new Island distilary, just off Skye). Quite impressed by Deanstone basic version no-aged stated and good value too.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Waitrose have Aberlour Casg Annahm on offer for £42 at the moment. Mrs Tkk really enjoyed the bottle we tried so might take a trip to the nearest shop.

Whilst I am a little bit of a whisky snob
View attachment 734409

, I am keen on value to, as shown by the sub £20 Jameson's, which to be fair is perfectly nice. I think I've posted this comment before but I do find cheap whiskey Jameson's, Bushmills et a good bit better than cheap whisky like Bells or Teachers. (and I actually prefer Bushmills' cheaper white label to Black Bush their de luxe version, and was very underwhelmed by a bottle of their malt albeit some years back.

At the dearer end of my collection I very very much like Lagavoulin 16 (which sadly is now £90, though I managed to stock up with the last of the £50 run), and my wife's favourite an Cnoc 18, which is similarly priced and genuinely a lovely smooth rich sherried Speyside, and also sadly now quite expensive Oban 14 (which I have run out of), At mid price (~£40 to £50 odd) I do like most of the Island malts: Ardbeg 5, wee beastie, their 10, Laphroig 10 (superb value often under £40) Highland Park, Jura 10, Talisker 10, Caol Ila 10, Welsh Penderyn Sherry, or Madera Cask (both often on special offer), and Raasay (a new Island distilary, just off Skye). Quite impressed by Deanstone basic version no-aged stated and good value too.

image.jpg

As it’s “show and tell”. I’ve also a Lagavulin 16 and a Glendronach 15 queueing for space on the shelf.

To answer the OP, if you like sweeter rather than peaty, I would expect the Jura Bourbon cask to tick the box for you

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 734424
As it’s “show and tell”. I’ve also a Lagavulin 16 and a Glendronach 15 queueing for space on the shelf.

To answer the OP, if you like sweeter rather than peaty, I would expect the Jura Bourbon cask to tick the box for you

Old Pultney 12 is very nice, particularly as it's so very modestly priced. Caol Ila 12 also a favourite at a perfectly OK price. Not familiar with many of your others

Old Pultney 12 is very nice, particularly as it's so very modestly priced. Caol Ila 12 also a favourite at a perfectly OK price. Not familiar with many of your others

The Ledaig 12 (Gordon & Macphail bottling) is smoky, similar to Caol Ila
The 1991 is an anonymous 30yo Speyside (Wine Society bottling)
Benriach quite a subtle sweet smokiness
Glendalough is inoffensive Irish. Good if you don’t like peat
The two Japanese are smooth but unremarkable, I think the Yoichi is the peaty one of the pair.
Laphroaig Cairdeas is a special edition aged in white port/madeira casks. Not yet opened
Tobermory is an unpeated from the same stable as Ledaig (on Mull)

I think if I had to pick a “forever” bottle it would probably be the Lagavulin

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Ledaig 12 (Gordon & Macphail bottling) is smoky, similar to Caol Ila
The 1991 is an anonymous 30yo Speyside (Wine Society bottling)
Benriach quite a subtle sweet smokiness
Glendalough is inoffensive Irish. Good if you don’t like peat
The two Japanese are smooth but unremarkable, I think the Yoichi is the peaty one of the pair.
Laphroaig Cairdeas is a special edition aged in white port/madeira casks. Not yet opened
Tobermory is an unpeated from the same stable as Ledaig (on Mull)

I think if I had to pick a “forever” bottle it would probably be the Lagavulin

I have this Ledaig 10. It's OK but I'm
not hugely wow'd by it. I seem to remember having their Tobermory version many years back and rather liking that

014B8A4D-4668-4371-A8BB-E91D2C62AB50.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom