Is this road closed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Force your way through, somehow
5c703623-c32a-4e36-9716-e8d721605801-1_all_28804.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The worst we've encountered is a 6' wire fence.
I encoutered one with a wide trench across the full width, big enough drain on the left and high hedge on the right. Still no fence. I think it was a two mile backtrack to a three mile detour and I was on a lightweight bike, so I picked it up and took a running jump!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
You can squeeze past those roadworks, a full closure would have big barriers, Heras fencing & need a TTRO. I've done road jobs with traffic management and the number of people who try to get through it is staggering. And if you watch some Youtube videos, you do get some farkwits trying to drive along segregated cycle paths only to find bollards at the end. Lack of car traffic and big white bikey symbols painted on the ground don't mean anything to some.....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I must have been unlucky, given the general opinion that "you can pretty much always squeeze through". My experience is more that "You can often squeeze through, but be prepared to turn back". I can think of quite a few serious closures that were genuinely impenetrable.

Now, I often ride from London up to Warwickshire. And that means going through HS2 works country. And believe me, when those guys close a road they mean business. But not all serious closures were HS2. I remember one in a sunken lane in Kent where they'd driven poles into the banks either side of the road and over engineered the whole thing so not even a cat could get through.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Not on a roadworks theme but further to @captain nemo1701 post, this new junction was installed near us about 3 years ago and you still see cars going down the cycle lane. :ohmy:
View attachment 742103

I can see why, the design is poor. TBH, I wouldn't put a cycle lane in there, just have a 'normal' junction. Its inviting people to keep going straight on, doesn't give the cyclists any great advantage.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can see why, the design is poor. TBH, I wouldn't put a cycle lane in there, just have a 'normal' junction. Its inviting people to keep going straight on, doesn't give the cyclists any great advantage.
I'd put an ANPR camera on the cycle lane and collect the idiot tax.

If that's not allowed, install some tough bollards. 😈

Got to get these unobservant drivers off the roads somehow and there seems no appetite for retesting.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning

To be honest, there was never any need to change the junction, it wasn't an accident blackspot, I can only recall one idiot who ran into the garden wall behind the junction. It was fine before, there are a lot of big artics go around that junction to the local farms, they've now made it even harder to get around it.

Top Bottom