Is this road closed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I had an interesting experience on a road closure (HS2) recently. There were big road closed signs but I thought I'd chance it and asked one of the workmen if I could get through. He ushered me on.

About 200m later another big road closed sign but this time with the words "Except for Cyclists". Well you could have told me that earlier.

Another 100m a big fence right across the road. Bah! Just as I pulled up, looking for a gap another workman appeared and opened a gap in the fence just for me. Personal service!

Believe it or not, that's quite a common tactic up here when there's major works going on. There were a number of points controlled by a sentry when they were building the Aberdeen bypass and it was just because it would be bad press to block peds and cyclists, but they couldn't give you unfettered access due to things like plant movements and the like.

We always ignore road closed signs when we're riding. 99% of the time a bike can get through.

I tend to find it safer: even here diversions are usually on roads unsuitable for cycling or for the volume of traffic a diversion creates, and drivers tend to be rushing and/or entirely focused on their navigator, rather than the road. Construction vehicles are comparatively predictable if you give them room.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's always a conundrum.

I've quite often come across roads that are properly sealed off (especially HS2 works) and on one occasion a non existent bridge. So do you work out a detour or stick to your route and hope you can get through - which you probably can - but there's a real chance of having to retrace your route AND make a detour.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Last time I did that a jobsworth council worker stopped me and tried to show his authority. No real reason as they were just finishing up and the road was clear. He was just being a nob.

You should have pulled a Premium Rush on him (from the movie when Riley pulls away from the detective on uni grounds).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We always ignore road closed signs when we're riding. 99% of the time a bike can get through.
Here's an example of the 1%!!! :laugh:

1723890486090.png

1723890561721.png

Strictly speaking, the bikes DID get through, but we were not sitting on them at the time!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
That looks like it’s right outside the Bank of England. It’s a very busy and confusing junction right in the centre of the City.
I suspect they have learned over the years that you can’t have too many signs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've fairly often come across roads sealed from side to side by fences that would be impenetrable even without a bike. Not to mention the aforementioned bridge which had been removed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1723901421752.jpeg

presta

Guru
The problem with diversion signs is that they don't tell you where the blockage is, so you can't tell which side of it you need to be. I followed a four mile diversion once, only to find it had put me on the wrong side of the blockage, there would have been no obstruction if I'd ignored the 'Road Closed' sign. I guessed correctly that a bridge was closed, but the problem was that there were two bridges 200m apart, and the second one was closed, with my turning in between the two.

You have to be especially careful with diversion in Runcorn

They think all traffic should be on the expressways around the town - if there is a diversion from another road then it will nearly always be onto one of them
There is never a sign saying no cyclists (until you get to the Mersey Gateway Bridge) but the roads are NOT suitable for bikes

so you are basically left to work things out for yourself along the lines of "well that looks sort of Northish so I'll try than one

Personlly I normally try to get to the canals - at least they don;t tend to be closed!

Top Bottom