Is insurance worth it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My claim through Leigh Day took over 3 years. Partly as my injuries took ages to get to a point where I’d likely recovered as much as I would (you mustn’t settle until healed), and also because Leigh Day contacts changed a couple of times which made it a bit frustrating.
I think I got about 80% back for my 4 week old helmet and a bit back for the tights the hospital cut off

And mine took four years. Wasn't worth the stress (well that was caused by getting run over).

I'm well covered by insurance, my co-op covers the lower value stuff after they stopped doing the add on for expensive bikes so I took out an extra policy with barclays for about £10 a month. Bikes unlikely to be stolen in use (well locked or never left unattended) but a targeted raid on my garage could be bad news. Saw on another forum that had their garage ram raided. Even the substantial metal door was useless as the car destroyed the wall. To top it off the bikes weren't super high value.

Just found this

https://www.theguardian.com/money/a...en-bike-claim-because-the-lock-was-stolen-too

Luckily it was sorted out after an appeal - which is worth noting

but I have seen some people that try to remember to always take a photo on their phone showing the bike and the lock every time they leave it

shouldn;t be necessary but might be worth thinking about if you leave it for a length of time

EDIT
I have a series of photos showing the bikes locked up in the shed - and teh shed locks - that I took a while ago just in case
doesn;t prove they were locked at the time of any future theft but at least it is something

Top Bottom