Is insurance worth it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
I’m considering getting cycle insurance. What do you guys think ? Is it worth it ? Thinking more along the lines of payouts if I have an accident (not getting any younger), bike wrecked etc. best quote so far was Churchill which would cover me for sportives in addition to leisure for £59. Any advice welcomed.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I’m considering getting cycle insurance. What do you guys think ? Is it worth it ? Thinking more along the lines of payouts if I have an accident (not getting any younger), bike wrecked etc. best quote so far was Churchill which would cover me for sportives in addition to leisure for £59. Any advice welcomed.

Have a look at British Cycling, or Cycling UK... Both provide 3rd party insurance with membership. Free legal help etc... Cost about £50 per year last time I looked.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Where do you ride? What lock are you prepared to carry? For third party see as above. Also check your house insurance, most include bikes with various exceptions and exclusions.

For example my work bike is insured with ETA and is locked with a gold standard d lock. But my day and tour bikes are not covered as I’m not going to leave them anywhere and am not prepared to carry 2 kg lock.

As far as theft and stuff is concerned then look at your House Insurance policy
Most cover bikes is stolen from home
and if stolen when outside when being used - as long as they are locked

When I had specific cycle insurance the theft clauses specified that the bike had to be locked to a solid object ( of specified types) and using a Sold Secure Gold standard lock
and a few other things
The House Insurance just said it had to be locked to something solid

I cancelled the specific insurance because
a) most of it was already covered as I was already a member of Cycling UK and had house insurance
b) if the bike was stolen the clauses gave the insurance company lots of ways to wriggle out and demand proof then I did x and y and z

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Über Member
I will be spending a lot of time riding around the South Wales valleys (stopping off for a coffee here and there) and maybe some commuting as well I was looking at getting an Oxford XC13 chain Lock (about 6-7 kg apparently. Maybe that’s overkill ?)

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I will be spending a lot of time riding around the South Wales valleys (stopping off for a coffee here and there) and maybe some commuting as well I was looking at getting an Oxford HC13 chain Lock (about 6-7 kg apparently. Maybe that’s overkill ?)

That depends on whether you will be leaving your bike out of your sight, how long you will leave it, how attractive it is to thieves and how risk averse you are.

I've recently decided that as I could cope with my bike being stolen; it isn't very nickable and I don't leave it out of my sight, that a relatively lightweight lock is adequate.

OP
OP
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Über Member
That depends on whether you will be leaving your bike out of your sight, how long you will leave it, how attractive it is to thieves and how risk averse you are.

I've recently decided that as I could cope with my bike being stolen; it isn't very nickable and I don't leave it out of my sight, that a relatively lightweight lock is adequate.

I don’t know if my bike is nickable or not - Pashley Clubman S2C. Lots of “shiny bits” on it. I know they don’t make them anymore, so wouldn’t really want it nicked (hence the humongous lock thoughts). I would have thought it might be left chained up out of my sight.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don’t know if my bike is nickable or not - Pashley Clubman S2C. Lots of “shiny bits” on it. I know they don’t make them anymore, so wouldn’t really want it nicked (hence the humongous lock thoughts). I would have thought it might be left chained up out of my sight.

ALL bikes are nickable, you just need to hope that there are more attractive or easier pickings nearby. But a 7kg lock?? For me, that would be a non starter - if you intend to carry it with you. OK if you leave it at some place where you intend to lock up the bike regularly (e.g. workplace). But carrying that weight around? No thanks!

tyred

Legendary Member
ALL bikes are nickable, you just need to hope that there are more attractive or easier pickings nearby. But a 7kg lock?? For me, that would be a non starter - if you intend to carry it with you. OK if you leave it at some place where you intend to lock up the bike regularly (e.g. workplace). But carrying that weight around? No thanks!

I have a great anti-theft device at home. My neighbours leave their expensive-looking ebikes unsecured out the front under the canopy thing that covers the front door so I figure no-one will bother with my bikes (I lock them in my little back yard but but it wouldn't be too hard to break in if you wanted.

Tom B

Guru
“If I had my way, I would write the word ‘insure’ over every door of every cottage and upon the blotting pad of every public man, because I am convinced that, for sacrifice that are conceivably small, families can be secured against catastrophes which otherwise would smash them forever.”

I am a member of Cycling UK which provides third party liability insurance and cycle incident legal advice from a partner who will no doubt take your claim forward in a no win no fee / charge the other party basis if you have a good case. That costs about £7 a month and you get a membership to the group and in my view a jolly good bimonthly mag.

I also have some cover provided via House Insurance for legal assistance and bike theft (at home or away from home). Adding bike cover to my house home and contents insurance is cheaper. (Total home contents and bikes is about £125) But it can be a real faff at renewal time going through the quotes to find / check the cover is adequate, doesn't have ridiculous requirements and sensible excesses. All our bikes (including the kids frog bikes) are specified on the policy.

Some of the best financial advice I have ever been given is to only by insurance for defaqto 5 star policies.

As an aside I have over the years had a few occasions where I have been involved in incidents/ occurrences where simply saying "if you wish to claim you can take it up with my insurer" is sufficient to extinguish any claim / shut people up. including one where I was stopped and a moving car scraped down my handlebar.

Yes - there is an extra hassle in getting house insurance becasue you cannot just take the best quote from a comparison site

You have to go through and check the terms and condition
I normally narrow it down to one or two and end up ringing them - which, due to their advanced technology - can take ages!

but it is worth it because it can save you a lot over specific bike insurance companies

always worth checking though

tom73

Guru
I been with Bikmo for a few years now it covers my bikes , 3rd party and me if i'm injured out on a ride.
Same cover via home insurance ect work out more than separate bike insurance.

Top Bottom