Increase in seizures of illegal ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
The County Lines problem does seem to be well known, and the Police do at least seem to be trying to stop that.

But it's that 'final mile' to use a delivery term that they don't seem to be able to deal with.

You mean the bit the kids do on expensive bikes, I saw 5 earlier on in a short walk around Nottingham, all in black, carrying pillions and just a tiny slit for the eye's to see through. I kid you not, in the past I have seen them wave at the police as they go in the opposite direction.

You mean the bit the kids do on expensive bikes, I saw 5 earlier on in a short walk around Nottingham, all in black, carrying pillions and just a tiny slit for the eye's to see through. I kid you not, in the past I have seen them wave at the police as they go in the opposite direction.

That's right. The CL bit I understand is still likely to be kids, but travelling cross country so not on electric motorbikes normally.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can anyone say (Drago spring to mind) what the Police have to do to confirm that an ebike is illegal to a point where they can confiscate it for further investigation?

If sounds easy - but I suspect it is less easy than it appears

I would presume standard "off the shelf" ebikes (like mine) would just need a quick look for the manufacturers plate
and a quick look for obvious "cheat" devices and it could be allowed to go on its way

I'm not even sure how (or even if) a DIY conversion can become legal as the regs seem to say you need a plate/sticker and any numpty could get one of them

I'd love to get stopped on my e-Trike, it was built before the current regs came into force but was legal under the old regulations when it was built so is still OK to ride. It has no 'pedal assist' no 'plate' and no speed sensors (the top speed is controlled by the frequency the controller will put out to the 3 phase motor*) and runs simply on a thumb throttle with a safety 'cut out' on the brake lever. I built it this way under the KISS principle so there is less to go wrong

* the front wheel will power to a certain RPM and no faster unless I'm going downhill when it will freewheel more quickly but not under power

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd love to get stopped on my e-Trike, it was built before the current regs came into force but was legal under the old regulations when it was built so is still OK to ride.
Where's the "grandfather clause" in the legislation? I was discussing this with someone earlier today and I don't know of anything saying older bikes are exempt from the current regulations. I've seen nothing like the dated rule allowing old bikes to run without some reflectors.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Where's the "grandfather clause" in the legislation? I was discussing this with someone earlier today and I don't know of anything saying older bikes are exempt from the current regulations. I've seen nothing like the dated rule allowing old bikes to run without some reflectors.

It was an EU ruling the UK adopted and as such only applied to EAPC's sold after that date, it does not apply to vehicles sold or modified before adoption. Also the UK regs were about to be changed to allow 500w motors and throttle assist but still with the 15.5 mph power cut off to allow delivery bikes and trikes to operate in city centres of course still under road traffic laws (i.e. no pavement riding or flouting 'no entry' signs etc)

There is no specified exemption as it is in the wording of the new regulations that they apply after the date to new vehicles much like the seat belt regs but unlike the Helmet laws and 125 'L' rider laws that are worded to apply to all

classic33

Leg End Member
It was an EU ruling the UK adopted and as such only applied to EAPC's sold after that date, it does not apply to vehicles sold or modified before adoption. Also the UK regs were about to be changed to allow 500w motors and throttle assist but still with the 15.5 mph power cut off to allow delivery bikes and trikes to operate in city centres of course still under road traffic laws (i.e. no pavement riding or flouting 'no entry' signs etc)

There is no specified exemption as it is in the wording of the new regulations that they apply after the date to new vehicles much like the seat belt regs but unlike the Helmet laws and 125 'L' rider laws that are worded to apply to all
The new regulations also allowed the cycle to have more than three wheels. Allowing the likes of DHL to try cargo quads out. Didn't catch on here it seems.

Drago

Legendary Member
DHL ordered two. They lost one, and the other was badly damaged in transit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The new regulations also allowed the cycle to have more than three wheels. Allowing the likes of DHL to try cargo quads out. Didn't catch on here it seems.

It has in London. (Its always London isnt it) Starting to see a few courier bikes now for DHL. Even had one deliver something to our work. Spoke to the guy about his bike. Said he carries extra batteries on it so they are out all day.

dicko

Guru
The centre of Derby pedestrian precinct, always a friendly Police presence with two or three PCs chatting to folks but it’s a haven for E bikes and scooters they just don’t see them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is true. I can see the change in regs. Oddly only "two or more" wheels, so my e-unicycle invention is still a rebellious outlaw(!)

They're not uncommon. I see people zipping round my local park on them from time to time. Like this one
w1200_5c37_v12ht.jpg

Top Bottom