How fast do pro cyclists go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I would class myself as pretty fit and I can average about 20mph over 30 miles. If I push myself I can average 22mph over the same distance, but as I say, that is pushing it!

That being said, if it's a nice sunny day, I prefer to relax and enoy the ride - in which case I'll take a longer route and average about 15mph over 40 miles.

Anyway, what kind of average speeds do the likes of machines people like Lance Armstrong achieve? And over what distance?

I am guessing that even with an average speed of 22mph I would be coming last in a leg of the Tour de France ...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Try 27mph avg for three- sometimes very very hilly-weeks.

Norm

According to this page, the winner's average speed to cover 3,500kms in 3 weeks was a tad over 40kph, which is 25mph. On the time trial stages, they can average over 50kph, or 32-33mph. On a flat stage, they will do around 48kph, which is 30mph.

For three weeks.

On a typical day they will average 25 mph over say 100 miles,but don't forget that they ride in the peloton sheltered from the wind and will have the very best kit including tubulars,wheels tweaks and the very best support from the "nutruitional" guys.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This reminds me of a post I once saw from a bloke who regarded himself as quite a serious long distance runner, who was once in a marathon when Paula Radcliffe loped past. Just for the hell of it, he decided to catch up and keep pace for a bit. So he did, by running at a full sprint. Which lasted for about 200 yards before he fell back gasping, while Ms Radcliffe just carried on loping...

Greedo

depends on how many drugs they've taken!!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
[quote name='swee'pea99']This reminds me of a post I once saw from a bloke who regarded himself as quite a serious long distance runner, who was once in a marathon when Paula Radcliffe loped past. Just for the hell of it, he decided to catch up and keep pace for a bit. So he did, by running at a full sprint. Which lasted for about 200 yards before he fell back gasping, while Ms Radcliffe just carried on loping...[/QUOTE]

what a piss taker :laugh:

Debian

Norm said:
According to this page, the winner's average speed to cover 3,500kms in 3 weeks was a tad over 40kph, which is 25mph. On the time trial stages, they can average over 50kph, or 32-33mph. On a flat stage, they will do around 48kph, which is 30mph.

For three weeks.

And that average takes into account climbing stonking great mountains in the Alps and Pyrenees ;) :smile:

Top Bottom