How fast do pro cyclists go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We had a club training session at Newport Velodrome last year and an aspiring GB team member joined in. In the scratch race (several laps - can't remember how many) she outsprinted two sponsored 1st cat roadies for first place. She's won a few races - Danni King - you'll find her results on the British Cycling website. Jamie and Ed were quite philosophical about being beaten by an 18 yr old woman.

bauldbairn

gavintc said:
I was out with the club a couple of winters ago. It was early winter and I remember I was on my summer lightweight carbon bike. I noted a rider who I did not know wave from the opposite direction and then turn into our chain gang. He was on a cheapish halrfords MTB with 2 panniers and it had hub gears. I then noted he was having no problems keeping up and on one of the hills he came alongside and starting chatting away. By this point, I was near dying, trying to keep with the chain and to think of talking was impossible. Eventually, I got some words out and it transpired he was a pro cyclist; Alex Coutts on his winter sabbatical. He was just cycling into town for some shopping and came across the chain gang. His fitness and speed was significantly higher than any of us. Nice bloke as well - very happy just to chat about the life as a developing pro.

Brilliant! :biggrin:

Didn't Harry Enfield(or some comedian) do a sketch where two lycra'd up road cyclists would be joined by a cyclist in a suit, on a shopping bike(or something similar). He would chat to them comfortably for a few moments before cycling off into the sunset, leaving them pedaling furiously. Ring any bells with anyone? :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep I remember that. he also did the same sketch but during a horse race

bauldbairn said:
Brilliant! :biggrin:

Didn't Harry Enfield(or some comedian) do a sketch where two lycra'd up road cyclists would be joined by a cyclist in a suit, on a shopping bike(or something similar). He would chat to them comfortably for a few moments before cycling off into the sunset, leaving them pedaling furiously. Ring any bells with anyone? :biggrin:

bauldbairn said:
Brilliant! :wacko:

Didn't Harry Enfield(or some comedian) do a sketch where two lycra'd up road cyclists would be joined by a cyclist in a suit, on a shopping bike(or something similar). He would chat to them comfortably for a few moments before cycling off into the sunset, leaving them pedaling furiously. Ring any bells with anyone? :laugh:
I think it is also an advert for one of the insurance/finance companies.

Top Bottom