How big is a portion of cereal in your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
For the third time in what feels like as many days I've lost the rag with the children for eating all the cereal.
Three boxes went over the weekend, then I bought two on Wednesday evening and there isn't a sniff of a shreddie left.
I looked on the box of wheetos and it says it contains 16 30g portions, but shreddies recommend 45g.
I did just weigh them - it didn't look very much, but I poured them into a smaller bowl and it seemed reasonable. I just ate 60g and I'm full up.
By my reckoning my children are pouring out 100g a time!
They insist on eating 3 weetabix at a time too.
I have issues don't I?! Humour me.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't do boxed cereal but I have 40g portions of porridge (dry weight). Add chopped banana and raisins.

I got a shock when I did WW a few years back and I first weighed out a portion of cereal. It looked little more than a gobful :eek:

Mind you, I did used to fill the bowl TBH :whistle:

It's irrelevant now as I use pre-measured amounts of porridge, add a chopped banana and a sprinkle of cinammon, jobs a good 'un :hungry:

Lee_M

Guru
For the third time in what feels like as many days I've lost the rag with the children for eating all the cereal.
Three boxes went over the weekend, then I bought two on Wednesday evening and there isn't a sniff of a shreddie left.
I looked on the box of wheetos and it says it contains 16 30g portions, but shreddies recommend 45g.
I did just weigh them - it didn't look very much, but I poured them into a smaller bowl and it seemed reasonable. I just ate 60g and I'm full up.
By my reckoning my children are pouring out 100g a time!
They insist on eating 3 weetabix at a time too.
I have issues don't I?! Humour me.

you lost your rag at your kids for eating cereal?

yes you have issues, would you prefer them to fill up on crisps and chocolate on the way to school?

what else should they eat?

:eek:

I made my OH weigh it out so he could see that his standard portion was 3 times the recommended amount. Now he only eats twice the amount... progress is slow, but I have come oto the conclusion that a 'portion' is what they deem a suitable amount of calories to make it look respectable on the packet...

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
you lost your rag at your kids for eating cereal?

yes you have issues, would you prefer them to fill up on crisps and chocolate on the way to school?

what else should they eat?

:eek:
Not for eating cereal -for eating ALL the cereal. I'd prefer them to eat a reasonable amount of cereal, so there is some left when I want my breakfast too!
I think spending more than £10 on just breakfast cereal in a week is excessive. Well it is for me, I'm on a halford's wage remember;)
They can't fill up on anything on the way to school because I don't give them any money.
I'm really mean.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Only 3 Weetabix ?
My son's standard breakfast is 6 Weetabix + 2 Oatibix (for variety!) , + a generous sprinkling of All-Bran.

I suppose I should admit that he is a competive swimmer, training 40 - 50 km a week

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You've got issues. :laugh: :tongue: Breakfast is the most important meal. Unless you have a house of lardy kids, I wouldn't worry - just buy more !

Anyone weighing food needs locking up, or indeed to do more exercise !!! :cycle:

I weigh porridge, so I don't accidently make too much as I can barely stomach the stuff :tongue:

Top Bottom