Helmet replacement or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
If you believe it protects you, replace it.

If not, don't.

If you believe it protects you as it is, keep it

If you think replacing it would be better, replace it.

I have a couple of helmets with minor scuffs, that I use, but sometimes I don't wear a helmet.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I have one which has taken a few knocks which I use on the canal.
Often with clients so more of an example than for protection.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As far as I can see it fulfils its function perfectly.

It’s function being to allow you to ride the event and no more.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a helmet. It's about 25yrs old and I only use it for competitions where one is required. As far as I can see it fulfils its function perfectly.
On the other hand, manufacturers presumably need an income-stream.

Do the competition bodies not require a helmet qualified to a certain level? I know in the horse world this is often a requirement, meaning helmets are replaced regularly as the standards are updated. They are checked for compliance too.

Drago

Legendary Member
they would say that wouldn't they :whistle:

They also state on the packaging that their product is not designed to offer protection in a vehicular collision, but still the insurance companies are demanding to know why victims with broken ankles weren't wearing one.

Victim blaming has, quite rightly, been banished in other unpleasant areas of crime and it staggers me that society, insurers and even sometimes less enlightened dibble think it's still OK when the victim rides a bicycle.

I have a helmet. It's about 25yrs old and I only use it for competitions where one is required. As far as I can see it fulfils its function perfectly.
On the other hand, manufacturers presumably need an income-stream.

I'm hoping helmet-wearing racers will start retiring in numbers soon, thus supplying me with cheap/free compulsory PPE until I pop my clogs.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do the competition bodies not require a helmet qualified to a certain level? I know in the horse world this is often a requirement, meaning helmets are replaced regularly as the standards are updated. They are checked for compliance too.

It has the appropriate EN and CE markings. It does everything I expect of a magic hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom