Has something gon wrong with the internet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Squire
I like to believe it's the beginning of the rapture.
Lordy lordy yessum it sure is.

markemark

Über Member
As bad as this is, the benefits of tech during the 99% of the time it is working far outweighs when it doesn't. There's a reason why every large organisation now runs entirely on IT. It isn't to annoy luddites. It is because it it massively more efficient.

In fact, there's nothing stopping anyone who wishes to run an airline or a supermarket on a paper based system so if people think there's a gap in the market, they should go for it.

As mentioned above it's a patch for Crowdstrike Falcon cybersecurity software, all in one antivirus and endpoint protection. It's not a microsoft patch but it only affects Microsoft Windows machines, so any organisation that has Crowdstrike on managed desktops or their servers will have the issue. It's unlikely to affect personal PCs as that it's enterprise software not consumer level.

The wider ramifications are where companies have it running on servers. Said servers will be offline until somebody reboots and does the manual fix.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/07/19/crowdstrike_falcon_sensor_bsod_incident/

Easy per machine, but not if you have 1000s of machines.

My post was clumsily worded and should have more clearly stated it was an update on Microsoft (Windows) machines. Thanks for your cleared post.

All your eggs in one basket and all that jazz.

Now if the MS Azure environment went down, it would be a world melt down as a lot of SaaS use Azure server framework.

Microsoft owners may not be the wealthiest but they are definitely the most powerful!

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
My store of food, water, and useful things all still work.

When we come out the other side of this I will be a king!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The cleaner has clearly unplugged a critical piece of equipment so they dan power their vacuum cleaner.

This did actually happen during my brief stint as IT support in a hospital! (to be specific- they unplugged the cooling fans for a comms cabinet. )
It happened where I worked in the early 1990s when several of us were working late on a crucial project. Someone's computer and equipment rack suddenly went off after a cleaner unplugged the power lead to use the socket for his vac. My colleague lost about a day's worth of work. After that we went round putting pieces of duct tape over the plugs and wrote DO NOT UNPLUG!!! on each.

presta

Guru
What this does show is how reliant many companies have become on their technology, and, how simple it is for that technology to go wrong.
It's alarming just how fragile computer systems are and how dependent we are on them. It seems to me that there's too little resilience, and that the increasing complexity of everything is only making it harder to ensure resilience.
Are the post office services working.Im hoping to tax my new to me car tomorrow
They're bound to be, the Post Office computer systems are renowned for their reliability.
As bad as this is, the benefits of tech during the 99% of the time it is working far outweighs when it doesn't. There's a reason why every large organisation now runs entirely on IT. It isn't to annoy luddites. It is because it it massively more efficient.

In fact, there's nothing stopping anyone who wishes to run an airline or a supermarket on a paper based system so if people think there's a gap in the market, they should go for it.
The problem is when system designers assume that something won't happen in future because it's never happened in the past, and that something is catastrophic.

markemark

Über Member
It's alarming just how fragile computer systems are and how dependent we are on them. It seems to me that there's too little resilience, and that the increasing complexity of everything is only making it harder to ensure resilience.

They're bound to be, the Post Office computer systems are renowned for their reliability.

The problem is when system designers assume that something won't happen in future because it's never happened in the past, and that something is catastrophic.

Partly. There’s also a compromise of what you put in place and a cost. Putting. A backup manual system will cost massively more than any losses of it going down. They’ll do a swot analysis and somethings are seemed unlikely or not cost effective to mitigate against.

Top Bottom