Has anyone tried the latest flavour of Covid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'There is evidence that COVID can affect taste as well as smell. This loss of smell and taste may cause your favorite foods to taste and smell differently following your COVID illness. Food may taste bland, sweet, or metallic...'
My niece took over a year to start enjoying food again after a nasty bout of Covid. Everything smelled and/or tasted weird.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks everyone :smile:

I must have had Covid for about 40 years
Yeah, I know that feeling. I usually struggle for energy but it seems markedly worse since this latest illness - feeling utterly exhausted to the point where at times I couldn't face going out on the bike or doing anything on the rings; while when I do I can't do as much as previously.

Similar here.
4 weeks ago for a week. Morning OK. By evening temperature 38.5 and feeling very grotty. No cough or chest involvement.
Since then lethargic and fatigued. Spent most of the month pottering round the house or on the sofa.
Sounds very similar; although I did have more respiritory symptoms - forgot to mention that I did have a dry cough for a bit; IIRC this came after the other major symptoms though. I've not had any time off work but have been getting out less and generally falling asleep through absolute exhaustion at 22:30-23:00, which is early for me (not that I'm complaining as I need all the kip I can get anyway).

Do you feel like you're getting any better? Feels like I'm improving slowly - hope you're making progress too!

Did you do a Covid test?

I had similar at the end of August (covid tested negative) but it was the worst I've ever felt in my life, I think it might have been actual 'Flu (which i know everyone uses to describe a bad cold, but this was much worse). I was in bed for a total of 3 weeks; cough, chills, sweats, constant headache and dizziness. I did go the Dr on day 10 and was given antibiotics for a chest infection, but it still took another 10 days until I could actually walk around and do normal things.

Short version - it could have been something like what I had and not Covid
Nup; we don't have any in the house and given how rampant it likely is I'm not sure it would have had any practical benefit. I only asked as I know Covid's recognised as having longer lasting effects than other viruses.

Sounds like you've really had it bad; guess that could have been flu - as you suggest many refer to cold-like symptoms as "flu" but proper flu really puts you on your arse.

Does sound markedly different to my experience though; which was short and relatively severe with protracted, lower-level symptoms while it sounds like you've been hammered hard for far longer. Hope you're fully recovered now :smile:

I should add I did have Covid about six weeks ago and tested positive for 8 days, two less than the last time I had Covid. I am back training hard and working well, but only feeling 80% and the tickly cough comes and goes.
Yes, I forgot to mention the cough in my OP. What are your remaining symptoms?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I thought that I might have caught the new Covid a few weeks ago but I tested negative.

I have had my invites... When they do flu and Covid the same day, I assume that it is 2 separate jabs rather than both vaccines mixed together?

It makes sense to get them done on the same visit to the health centre but I worry that double side effects might be an issue. Last year I had the jabs done a few weeks apart. Has anyone had a problem with having both done together?
Mine were on consecutive days last week, solely because the flu jab had been booked ages ago, and the COVID was a walkin the following day at a chemist close to where my wife and I were visiting.
I had them both at the same time last year with no ill effects, but this year I started to feel rough about 6 hours after the COVID jab. A very disturbed night followed with the rough feeling still lingering the following day.
The effects were similar to, but not as bad, as after the very first COVID vaccination. Which caught me out, as there were negligible after effects with all of the subsequent COVID jabs.

gbb

Squire
Never knowingly had covid but if you consider my, and by extension most people's symptoms of a cold /flu...the after effects are many and varied , even in the same person with subsequent colds.
Sometimes I will get a snotty one from the word go, it will clear in a few days and all is well.
Sometimes I will get what seems not such a bad one but the symptoms, usually a cough or nasal blockage can carry on for a week or more after the main symptoms have subsided. I've just been through that one, it's not so bad, you just get a bit irked that it won't clear.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D and I both went down at the same time with a mild cold last year. I tested positive for several days, and despite repeated tests Mrs D tested negative throughout. Weird.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
'There is evidence that COVID can affect taste as well as smell. This loss of smell and taste may cause your favorite foods to taste and smell differently following your COVID illness. Food may taste bland, sweet, or metallic...'

I've not knowingly had Covid, but Just when the pandemic started, before tests were available, I had a nasty illness - a few days with fever and general rottenness. I thought this couldn't be Covid because there were no respiratory symptoms. However, as I was getting better I had some cold meat and pickle. The pickle was my sister's home made pickle which I normally find really good but I thought it must have gone off as it tasted decidedly weird. My wife assured me it was just as normal. That makes me think my mystery illness may have been Covid.

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone :smile:

Yeah, I know that feeling. I usually struggle for energy but it seems markedly worse since this latest illness - feeling utterly exhausted to the point where at times I couldn't face going out on the bike or doing anything on the rings; while when I do I can't do as much as previously.

Sounds very similar; although I did have more respiritory symptoms - forgot to mention that I did have a dry cough for a bit; IIRC this came after the other major symptoms though. I've not had any time off work but have been getting out less and generally falling asleep through absolute exhaustion at 22:30-23:00, which is early for me (not that I'm complaining as I need all the kip I can get anyway).

Do you feel like you're getting any better? Feels like I'm improving slowly - hope you're making progress too!

Nup; we don't have any in the house and given how rampant it likely is I'm not sure it would have had any practical benefit. I only asked as I know Covid's recognised as having longer lasting effects than other viruses.

Sounds like you've really had it bad; guess that could have been flu - as you suggest many refer to cold-like symptoms as "flu" but proper flu really puts you on your arse.

Does sound markedly different to my experience though; which was short and relatively severe with protracted, lower-level symptoms while it sounds like you've been hammered hard for far longer. Hope you're fully recovered now :smile:

Yes, I forgot to mention the cough in my OP. What are your remaining symptoms?

Tickly cough, I exercise ten hours a week and got back into it about fourteen days after first recognising I had Covid, I am 69 but very fit for my age, in fact for for most ages in the UK. I also recognise when I feel lazy or I feel tired, they are very easily confused, I do not depend on my bike alone to get and keep fit.

lazybloke

Priest of the cult of Chris Rea
Had my flu and covid jabs on Tuesday night.
No side effects; I can even sleep on my double-punctured arm.

My daughter had hers last week and needed a couple of days at home because of nausea. Don't knw if that was the flu or covid vaccine.

Suppose that's the trouble with double jabs; you don't know which provoked a reaction. The last time I fainted was 2005 when I had multiple jabs in both arms at the same time; was there one in a buttock too? maybe.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never knowingly had covid but if you consider my, and by extension most people's symptoms of a cold /flu...the after effects are many and varied , even in the same person with subsequent colds.

Different strain of rhino / influenza virus (the pesky things mutate constantly and can be multiple strains which for example make up the flu vaccine, the manufacturers take a punt based on what is prevalent down under 6 months earlier)

I thought that I might have caught the new Covid a few weeks ago but I tested negative.

I have had my invites... When they do flu and Covid the same day, I assume that it is 2 separate jabs rather than both vaccines mixed together?

It makes sense to get them done on the same visit to the health centre but I worry that double side effects might be an issue. Last year I had the jabs done a few weeks apart. Has anyone had a problem with having both done together?

Had both together last week. Same arm for both (no choice offered or given). Sore arm for 48 hours and tired for 24 hours but no other effects

I had "something" about a month ago; starting with a sore throat worsening towards the end of day one and rapidly progressed into the usual flu-like symptoms that saw me in bed for all of day two with muscle aches / fatigue / congestion. By day three I felt markedly better and was well enough to go to work on day four.

However, while initially happy that this had apparently run its course in about half the time I'd expected, I've since remained fatigued and congested - especially producing a lot of mucus. I've also been craving carb-heavy food and experiencing some digestive issues; however I suspect these might be unrelated.

Has anyone else experienced similar recently? I thought it was just a cold / flu, however given how long some of the symptoms have dragged on for, I'm wondering if it was Covid..

Did you do a COVID test ?

I have had COVID recently ...2nd time . Sore throat and croaky voice - only did a test as I due of hospital procedure.
Tested positive.

Banging headache, slightly runny nose - but I've never slept so much.!!!

Top Bottom