Good, cheap watch thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 for a Seiko automatic if you don't want a watch with a battery or capacitor. They're pretty bombproof. I can't comment on newer Seiko watches as I'm a vintage watch kind of girl, but my 1975 2206-3040 is near enough the best timekeeper I have.

Of course, mechanical watches also have their drawbacks, but a basic 3-hand day / date would fit the bill. Other than the dive-style watches, they do come on metal bracelets, but in my experience, Seiko bracelets are comfortable and won't pull your arm hairs off. Citizen bracelets - now that's completely different kettle of fish!

If you've still got your Tissot, I would suggest you find a proper independent watchmaker to get it appraised for repair. Most jewellers won't do much beyond a battery change and pressure test. If it's quartz, then the easiest thing to do is chuck in a new movement (likely it's some flavour of ETA, which are widely available), or if it's mechanical, then it'll probably want a service. Could be that the watch got magnetized somehow, which would affect the timekeeping - it makes the coils of the hairspring stick together, and then the balance wheel can't swing as freely as it's meant to. Something like that can easily be remedied.

Just be aware that a lot of affordable modern watches have plastic parts in their movements, which essentially renders them non-repairable.

Another option is chancing your arm on the Bay of E

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
It was a proper watch repairer in Liverpool. Several decades ago now but there was a door that led up stairs into a fancy office suite iirc. The guy was an authorised repairer of rolexes, pataks and a load of other watch bands with prices more than my first house cost about a decade after that!

He basically said that those cheap watches often have problems that simply aren't worth fixing. I might think a £300+ watch is not cheap but if you're used to working on watches with 5 figure proves I guess it is!

I thought Tissot were good watches but after my issues and hearing that my dad had to replace his too, well I'm not so sure.

It was a proper watch repairer in Liverpool. Several decades ago now but there was a door that led up stairs into a fancy office suite iirc. The guy was an authorised repairer of rolexes, pataks and a load of other watch bands with prices more than my first house cost about a decade after that!

He basically said that those cheap watches often have problems that simply aren't worth fixing. I might think a £300+ watch is not cheap but if you're used to working on watches with 5 figure proves I guess it is!

I thought Tissot were good watches but after my issues and hearing that my dad had to replace his too, well I'm not so sure.

In other words, sounds like he thought it beneath him to work on everyday stuff as opposed to the frighteningly expensive. Also, they may not be permitted to do so by the manufacturers that they are affiliated with. Don't be put off by one hoity-toity know-it-all.

This is where a good *independent* watchmaker is well worth seeking out. I'm lucky to have one here in Ely. Most of what he does is the inevitable battery and strap changes, but he loves servicing vintage watches.

And here's the killer... The really expensive watches and the more affordable ones will often have the same movement fitted. Granted, the movement in the expensive watch will be better finished, with engraving and gilding and all sorts of fancy-schmanzy stuff, but tbe basic ebauche will be the same.

Case in point. The 1972 Tissot Seastar automatic I'm currently wearing has a movement that is essentially the first generation ETA 2671. That movement is STILL being made today, and is fitted to TAG-Heuer, Tudor and Cartier watches as well as into some of the current range of ladies' Tissot automatics. So go figure.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've a Timex 'Indiglo'* that's about 20yrs old, it's had a couple of batteries over the years but still keeps time to within a couple of seconds a month.

* classic dial that 'backlights' when you push the adjuster button in

I'm a fan of homage watches from Aliexpress, having owned several these past few years. Amazing value, but appreciate they're not ever ones cup of tea.

Brought this one over for a mate, he's more than happy, and for 17 quid delivered a real bargain
Addiesdive.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a helluva euphemism.
Most of them are a helluva watch for the money.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
In other words, sounds like he thought it beneath him to work on everyday stuff as opposed to the frighteningly expensive. Also, they may not be permitted to do so by the manufacturers that they are affiliated with. Don't be put off by one hoity-toity know-it-all.

This is where a good *independent* watchmaker is well worth seeking out. I'm lucky to have one here in Ely. Most of what he does is the inevitable battery and strap changes, but he loves servicing vintage watches.

Not sure that's completely true as it was my gran who showed me the place. You'd not find it without knowing where it was so she took me there. It was where she took her watch to be fixed and she had watches that were a lot cheaper than mine were. He fixed cheaper watches as well as expensive ones. My gran used sekonda and cheap lorus watches.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a Tommy Hilfiger which I have had since 2017. No idea of age as it belonged to my elder son who died but apart from new batteries a couple of times it has been faultless and keeps perfect time.
The metal bracelet which came with it is also very comfortable and gives no problems.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Not sure that's completely true as it was my gran who showed me the place. You'd not find it without knowing where it was so she took me there. It was where she took her watch to be fixed and she had watches that were a lot cheaper than mine were. He fixed cheaper watches as well as expensive ones. My gran used sekonda and cheap lorus watches.

I imagine you are talking about Phoenix Watches of Liverpool Here
1717947015765.png

I have always found them polite and professional, and not hoity-toity in the slightest. If they say it isn't economic to repair, I would believe them. That doesn't mean it cannot be repaired or have a new movement of course, just it costs more than the watch is worth. In point of fact they are currently servicing my father in-law's Omega, which I inherited 18 months ago - I have no doubts that it will come back as good as new :smile:

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I was reading something about metal watch straps. Basically a review of a cheap rotary who's metal strap was very comfortable and how the reviewer said citizen could learn a thing from rotary. I think they're both owned by the same parent company.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I was reading something about metal watch straps. Basically a review of a cheap rotary who's metal strap was very comfortable and how the reviewer said citizen could learn a thing from rotary. I think they're both owned by the same parent company.

I think Rotary use hypoallergenic bracelets, that's what I was told in H Samuels. I cant wear metal bracelets as they bring me out in a rash and this is what the lady said.

Top Bottom