Getting shouted at

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psamathe

(Other than liquid in NE France above)

Mostly in France but a few times in Belgium I have had a lot of shouts but all positive - I'm riding a tadpole recumbent and from talking to other French recumbent riders reasons I got was people like it that you're "doing something different". One time riding on French canal towpath and tourist boat on canal with 30 people aboard passed and they all started clapping me (as in cheering clapping). Not uncommon getting a few beeps on horn and thumbs up hand stuck out of window. And all ages as once passing a group of school children walking on pavement being herded by teachers and many started clapping as I passed.

Alex321

Guru
I have never had it. I ride thousands of km every year and nobodys ever done it to me. Some once shouted "Good lights" on a dark winters morning. I don't think that counts.

It certainly isn't a frequent occurrence, but I've experienced it probably 3-4 times in the last 4 years.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Once had someone shout inaudible instructions from behind me, after I clearly signalled to turn right entering a roundabout.

I can only think she expected me to ride straight on - just to allow her overtake.

Once had someone shout inaudible instructions from behind me, after I clearly signalled to turn right entering a roundabout.

I can only think she expected me to ride straight on - just to allow her overtake.

The thing that gets me is how they seem to think that you can hear them and should obey

You have exactly no clue what the words are normally and the tone and amount of anger in the voice just makes it worse

Psamathe

Confession: I shouted at somebody yesterday. I was on the bike, single track road well out from kerb and a white van didn't seem to know the difference between 1.5m and 5 cm as he barged past from behind. That said, had he given me more than 5 cm he'd have been in the ditch. But in his (van driver's) defence it seemed his trip was really urgent as he couldn't wait for a passing place 20 m ahead.

I regret resisting bashing on the side of his van. Given his driving I suspect he's well used to having cyclists shout at him.

Ian

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Was minding my own business on a ride when someone rolled down their window and shouted at me just as they were passing. It wasn't anything intelligible. They were so loud it almost felt like getting struck, and gave me a wobble. Fortunately no damage done, but FGS, why do people do this???

I've been in cars where someone thinks it's funny to jeer out of the window at people on the street. They seem to think it's funny. 'We' think they're d!ckheads.

blackrat

I suspect it's all because the modern world makes people frustrated and angry and impotent so they take it out of anyone they believe are not able to retaliate. It's probably better they yell at cyclists than go home and kick the dog or bash the wife.

I suspect it's all because the modern world makes people frustrated and angry and impotent so they take it out of anyone they believe are not able to retaliate. It's probably better they yell at cyclists than go home and kick the dog or bash the wife.

Better still if they decided to start cycling and took the aggression out by pedalling up a steep hill or two!!!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Was minding my own business on a ride when someone rolled down their window and shouted at me just as they were passing. It wasn't anything intelligible. They were so loud it almost felt like getting struck, and gave me a wobble. Fortunately no damage done, but FGS, why do people do this???

Because their parents were too closely related.

blackrat

Very probably, but people are so angry these days, I just don't see any answer for it. It's getting to the point where any interaction leads to hostility. Which is why I suggest it's best to ignore verbal attacks.

Top Bottom