Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Well done @Aravis , it is The Causeway.
I had come from Lakeside, followed the steam railway to the Swan Hotel, then took tiny lanes West to avoid the A-road.
The flood and scenery looked amazing in the late evening light - the photo doesn't quite do it justice, not surprising as it was already getting dark. Lovely lanes in that area.
Am 99% sure this is the gate on streetview : https://goo.gl/maps/4KJBUqdrfvMgAWwm7

I was only vaguely aware of the Bay Cycleway, and used some of it on the way back. Hilly!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'll try this one. You could say the river matches the sky:

lazybloke

Not much doubt about that pic (too good a clue, @Aravis!), so am putting up another pic - hopefully less obscure than my last one.

Well streetview actually, because I didn't have a camera at the time. It was Day 1 of my first ever cycling holiday, and I was heading for the coast.
I was nowhere near my usual Surrey villages, so this place felt like another world. Absolutely amazing, really opened my eyes to cycling.

1603065327114.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Not much doubt about that pic (too good a clue, @Aravis!)
Well done @lazybloke. It's quite a popular road for cycling but I didn't think you'd have much chance without a clue. The sky had brightened a bit by the time I reached that spot so I was stretching things a bit for the sake of the pun. The picture is from my January 2018 ICaM ride.

There's an old watermill behind the spot I was standing with the wheel still in place. While I was stopped the chap living there asked if I was OK. Apparently the water had been a lot higher a few hours earlier and some of the cyclists who insisted on coming through regardless were not totally OK.

I like your comment about a moment that opened your eyes to cycling. I suspect we all have seminal moments like that - possibly a productive subject for a thread if it hasn't already been done.

lazybloke

Well done @lazybloke. It's quite a popular road for cycling but I didn't think you'd have much chance without a clue. The sky had brightened a bit by the time I reached that spot so I was stretching things a bit for the sake of the pun. The picture is from my January 2018 ICaM ride.

There's an old watermill behind the spot I was standing with the wheel still in place. While I was stopped the chap living there asked if I was OK. Apparently the water had been a lot higher a few hours earlier and some of the cyclists who insisted on coming through regardless were not totally OK.

I like your comment about a moment that opened your eyes to cycling. I suspect we all have seminal moments like that - possibly a productive subject for a thread if it hasn't already been done.
Well I initially thought "Somerset", and spent a while comparing OS maps to Environment Agency flood maps. Your clue quickly put me back on track.

Tribansman

Veteran
Not much doubt about that pic (too good a clue, @Aravis!), so am putting up another pic - hopefully less obscure than my last one.

Well streetview actually, because I didn't have a camera at the time. It was Day 1 of my first ever cycling holiday, and I was heading for the coast.
I was nowhere near my usual Surrey villages, so this place felt like another world. Absolutely amazing, really opened my eyes to cycling.

View attachment 553257

North Pennines?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're not a massive distance away, but Google says this place has a different geology and age.
My guess is somewhere in the North York Moors. If it is, I'll spend more time looking for which road it is. I have found some that look very similar but don't want to waste hours on a wild goose moor chase looking for the actual road!

I haven't ridden there but would like to give it a go before I would need an ebike to get up the climbs... :laugh:

lazybloke

My guess is somewhere in the North York Moors. If it is, I'll spend more time looking for which road it is. I have found some that look very similar but don't want to waste hours on a wild goose moor chase looking for the actual road!

I haven't ridden there but would like to give it a go before I would need an ebike to get up the climbs... :laugh:
Yes! :sun:

Tribansman

Veteran
Can't see the actual name of the road on Google Maps, but is it the road between Hetton le Hole and Castleton, not far from Castleton?

Edit: Blakey Lane?

Last edited:

lazybloke

I thougt NYM, I wondered if this was a clue "Absolutely amazing, really opened my eyes to cycling" Moor to Sea route ?
You can take the "opened my eyes" comment at face value. It really was a landscape that I'd never encountered on a bike before, maybe in a car on a family holiday when I was younger, but there's nothing like being on a bike in the fresh air as the daylight starts to fade. This road kept on delivering; absolutely stunning views on a scale totally unlike the boring Sarf East.

Top Bottom