Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
looks like a monument atop that distant hill.

Seems to have a wheel on top. Some sort of winding gear monument or something.
1694282140530.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
Is that the Peel Monument in Holcombe?

If so is this Cross Lane?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is that the Peel Monument in Holcombe?
Yes, it IS.

If so is this Cross Lane?
Sorry, no, it is NOT!

Yes, it IS!

So, an honourable mention to @All uphill, but the winner once again is... @Sea of vapours!

Eyes PEELed for the Peel monument. As for clues for recent roads... that was shown on the Tour of Britain coverage a couple of nights ago!

Historical stuff... Sir Robert Peel was born in nearby Bury and founded the Metropolitan Police Service in 1829, hence 'bobbies' and 'peelers' as nicknames for the police.

Over to @Sea of vapours for our next road.

PS Ah - he has beaten me to it! :okay:

I'm taking Colin's 'like' as confirmation of it being Chapel Lane. That was a *huge* clue in the original posting. I'll be less generous :-)

This is a difficult road and a single name answer. The second image is about 200m further up the road from the first one - it's a clue of sorts - and the road does have a different name there, on Google Maps at least. Of the two names, I'm looking for the one Simon Warren would recognise. If you've been there, you'd remember the location of the first picture. I certainly do anyway! I've been along there this summer. Other clues are available if necessary.
One.JPG

two.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is Common Ln, Caper Hill North York Moors.

Common Ln Caper Hill.jpg

I knew that you had been up there this year and it looked like the North York Moors so I did a search for cattle grids in the area and it was the last one in the list!

I see that it wasn't in the first 100 climbs, it was in the second group of 100, 149.

The technical term for the climb would be 'a right b*st*rd'! :laugh:

Congratulations! Correct in all respects, including the technical term for the nature of the climb :-) I put the second photo in to make it clear that it's the North York Moors (well, fairly clear anyway). That is one of the very few 10/10 climbs in the Simon Warren books and it deserves it. that corner is the only 'feature' on the hill. Other that that they just put a straight strip of tarmac up to the ridge at right angles to the contour lines.

So where did you obtain a list of 'cattle grids in the North York Moors' then?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

So where did you obtain a list of 'cattle grids in the North York Moors' then?
Er, I Googled 'cattle grids in the North York Moors'! :laugh:

The photo in the grids list was taken looking down the hill but that rusty metal structure is a giveaway.

Once again, a view of another road has been prepared and is sitting on my laptop downstairs waiting for me to get up and trudge down there.

I have been distracted by my 11 year old Galaxy Tab 8.9 finally throwing a wobbly. I would give it a decent (recycled) burial but I always liked the perfect size of it, and it has old versions of games which I prefer to the modern versions on this newer Galaxy Tab.

Looks distressingly wndy in that video! I had a headwind, but it was only 10mph or so. That looks really most unpleasant. And yes, the whole climb is unrelentingly very steep with some slightly steeper bits thrown in for good measure. The average is steeper than Hardknott, though it's only half the distance. Some masochist has created a Strava segment which goes up that and then finishes at the top of Rosedale Chimney, which is similarly hard and starts about 4-5km from the top of Caper Hill. I 'chose' not to do that particular route ...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Er, I Googled 'cattle grids in the North York Moors'! :laugh:

The photo in the grids list was taken looking down the hill but that rusty metal structure is a giveaway.

Once again, a view of another road has been prepared and is sitting on my laptop downstairs waiting for me to get up and trudge down there.

I have been distracted by my 11 year old Galaxy Tab 8.9 finally throwing a wobbly. I would give it a decent (recycled) burial but I always liked the perfect size of it, and it has old versions of games which I prefer to the modern versions on this newer Galaxy Tab.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/game-name-that-road.227817/post-6408631

Had I looked on the thread I'd have got that very quickly, I was born about 1.5 miles away. I couldn't manage it on my 3 speed Raleigh commando, but could do it on my 10 speed racer that succeeded it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorted!

It hadn't gone to sleep after I had last used it so the battery had completely drained and the tablet didn't stop cleanly. The answer was to do a reset. The problem with that was that the power and volume up buttons need to be pressed simultaneously for 15+ seconds but the power button is faulty so it took multiple attempts. If it happens again I will dismantle the device and sort the button out one way or another.

Anyway, back to my next road...

It isn't a particularly interesting one, but there is a reason for me posting it, which will be made clear by whoever identifies it!

Name That Road #56.jpg

Here is a clue for you: John Lennon remembered - turn left; cyclists remembered - straight on!

Top Bottom