Froome latest .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
It's a pity he doesn't get more credit. A 7 time grand tour winner and he gets less credit than Wiggins.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's a pity he doesn't get more credit. A 7 time grand tour winner and he gets less credit than Wiggins.

its always the same, the 1st one past the post .No denying his talent and i reckon he would have taken 2012 if he had not been reined back as a domestique although around that time we was still a bit patchy with that undiagnosed bilharzia

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Credit from whom? He gets plenty of credit I think.

He has had a much more successful road (specifically Grand Tour) career than Wiggins.

But Wiggins also had multiple Olympic gold medals on the track (and road TT) plus the hour.

So two quite different careers.

Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Credit from whom? He gets plenty of credit I think.

He has had a much more successful road (specifically Grand Tour) career than Wiggins.

But Wiggins also had multiple Olympic gold medals on the track (and road TT) plus the hour.

So two quite different careers.
Maybe from people who follow cycling regularly, but the general public love Wiggins but barely know who Froome is.

Sharky

Guru
the D10/1 ? I have raced that a course few times many, many years ago - don't think I ever broke 30mins :smile:

Yep, used to be my local course, when it started in "Blind Foot Lane". Dead flat, but can be windy. Did my pb on it, back in 1969! Although I now live in Kent, make an occasional visit to have another go.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
its always the same, the 1st one past the post .No denying his talent and i reckon he would have taken 2012 if he had not been reined back as a domestique although around that time we was still a bit patchy with that undiagnosed bilharzia
Froome was the first British man to win a Grand Tour, first to win the Vuelta and first to win the Giro, but he's won little, maybe nothing, in the UK, so is ignored by the press and gets a minor honour while less successful racers are knighted.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Froome was the first Briton to win a Grand Tour,

That had interesting timing though, didn't it?

Froome didn't actually win the 2011 Vuelta until 8 years after it had finished, when Cobo was stripped of the title. In the meantime Wiggins appeared to be the first Britain to win a GT in 2012, and indeed he was ... Until 2019 when he wasn't any more. Or was he? :wacko:

Gotta love cycling

Edit:

Thinking about it Froome was the first male British registered rider to start a grand tour that he would ultimately win. And second to actually be declared the winner.

Wiggins was the second to start (and ultimately win) one and the first to win one.

And they were both behind Nicole Cooke.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That had interesting timing though, didn't it?

Froome didn't actually win the 2011 Vuelta until 8 years after it had finished, when Cobo was stripped of the title. In the meantime Wiggins appeared to be the first Britain to win a GT in 2012, and indeed he was ... Until 2019 when he wasn't any more. Or was he? :wacko:

Gotta love cycling

Edit:

Thinking about it Froome was the first male British registered rider to start a grand tour that he would ultimately win. And second to actually be declared the winner.

Wiggins was the second to start (and ultimately win) one and the first to win one.

And they were both behind Nicole Cooke.

what he said :smile:

Alex321

Guru
Froome was the first Briton to win a Grand Tour, first to win the Vuelta and first to win the Giro, but he's won little, maybe nothing, in the UK, so is ignored by the press and gets a minor honour while less successful racers are knighted.

The general public hardly know about any cycling road races outside the TdF, so winning the Vuelta and the Giro don't mean much to them.

The general public hardly know about any cycling road races outside the TdF EDIT:and the Olympics, so winning the Vuelta and the Giro don't mean much to them.
Edited. May be of relevance to why "lesser" riders than Froome are well known ...

(and let's be honest, within cycling circles the Giro/Vuelta do rank a lot lower than Le Tour. How many did Lance ride?? )

Top Bottom