Football commentator's view on road cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
IIRC Graham Le Saux was labelled the intellectual in the changing room cos he read the Guardian.
and it went beyond that ...

There are a few top level footballers with degrees. This is just ones who have played in the Premier League or Championship. There are more I the lower divisions, and foreign players who have not played here but have managed, such as Arsene Wenger.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/fo...196q7i1qbyhjs1nl24xafcdc80#cs36f0b6e8bd08be1e

AndyRM

XOXO
There are a few top level footballers with degrees. This is just ones who have played in the Premier League or Championship. There are more I the lower divisions, and foreign players who have not played here but have managed, such as Arsene Wenger.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/fo...196q7i1qbyhjs1nl24xafcdc80#cs36f0b6e8bd08be1e

Good list. With the notable exception of Bergkamp who got a degree in Mechanical Engineering whilst playing for Arsenal.

Worth noting that none of these are those nonsense "Honourary Degrees" either.

PK99

Legendary Member
How many footballers keel over with cardiac arrest while playing a game? That's befallen several pro footballists lately, and just before I moved house a footballist in the village sadly keeled over and died halfway through a game. Seems to be a spot of cycling is the least of their worries.

I've twice been a few meters away from cyclists on a sportive who collapsed and died of a heart attack

mustang1

Legendary Member
He did so badly at school he's had to take a job talking about the antics of 24 thugs, thickos and criminals chasing an inflated pigs bladder around a field for 90 minutes, so it's hardly surprising.

Cute the scene from The IT Crowd when Moss goes to a football match.

Wow that man has the ball which deserves a round of applause. Oh, look, he has now kicked the ball to another man which also deserves a round of applause....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bang your head all you like, but nowhere did anyone claim that only clever people can donate.
This:
Im not a fan of Rooney, though a fabulous footballer he was, but he gives and does a lot for charity. Its easy to bash footballers and call them thick whilst not looking at what they do for various charities. A lot of them not even advertising the fact.
was posted to contradict this:
Wayne Rooney. Case closed.
!!!

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the attempted disproof is very faulty.

AndyRM

XOXO
This:

was posted to contradict this:

!!!

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the attempted disproof is very faulty.

You don't like football. We get it.

PK99

Legendary Member
Gordon took a full part in England training despite the facial injury the Newcastle United winger suffered falling off his bike on Wednesday. England’s players have been cycling in the grounds of their Euro 2024 base near Blankenhain as a way to unwind after training and between matches, and Marc Guéhi, the centre back, admitted Gordon’s fall had been a source of amusement to them.

“He fell off his bike,” Guéhi said. “The boys went out on a bike ride … I actually wasn’t there. I heard about it and I was actually talking to him, but not paying attention to him. Then he turned around and I saw that massive gash on his chin. But he’s OK, he’s OK but he just fell off his bike. It’s been a bit of a joke in camp but he’s doing well.”

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Gordon took a full part in England training despite the facial injury the Newcastle United winger suffered falling off his bike on Wednesday. England’s players have been cycling in the grounds of their Euro 2024 base near Blankenhain as a way to unwind after training and between matches, and Marc Guéhi, the centre back, admitted Gordon’s fall had been a source of amusement to them.

“He fell off his bike,” Guéhi said. “The boys went out on a bike ride … I actually wasn’t there. I heard about it and I was actually talking to him, but not paying attention to him. Then he turned around and I saw that massive gash on his chin. But he’s OK, he’s OK but he just fell off his bike. It’s been a bit of a joke in camp but he’s doing well.”

Perhaps not the brightest thing to do in trying to take a photo while on the move and claiming that using the right (rear on European set-up) brake caused it to come to a sudden stop.

[It was] meant to be a recovery bike ride and I was going down the hill and tried to take a picture for my family and before I knew it I was face first into the floor. It's only few cuts, it’s not anything painful.

"Electric is a lot faster than normal bikes - the front brake is on the left hand side and I tried to press the right one to slow down and it didn’t slow down it came to a full stop and I’ve gone ten feet in the air chin first.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Perhaps not the brightest thing to do in trying to take a photo while on the move and claiming that using the right (rear on European set-up) brake caused it to come to a sudden stop.
Taking pictures on the move is generally fine but I wouldn't do it on any downhill of note unless the camera is fixed to the bike!

Top Bottom