Football commentator's view on road cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got a vague memory of a pro rider, possibly for Sky, turning their ankle or something like that during a kickabout and there being much tutting about allowing cyclists to do dangerous things like football.

I can't remember details but I don't think I made it up. Possibly it wasn't football, but some other sport. Or maybe it was a cricketer not a cyclist.

Anyway, you get my point. Top athletes are so valuable that they tend to get "wrapped in cotton wool" except when participating in their sport.
Luke Rowe broke his leg white water rafting

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
FC Utrecht were sponsored for a while by Opel, so every player drove about in an Opel car. Except left back Jacob Lensky (ex-Celtic), who didn't have a driving licence. He was presented with an Opel bike in the centre circle before a home game. Lensky went off the rails soon after (loneliness, alcohol, drugs) and returned to Canada a broken man. I don't know what happened to the bike.

So it was the bike that tipped him over the edge.

Dangerous things, bikes.

AndyRM

XOXO
He did so badly at school he's had to take a job talking about the antics of 24 thugs, thickos and criminals chasing an inflated pigs bladder around a field for 90 minutes, so it's hardly surprising.

Football is 11 a side, even Danny Murphy knows that...

The commentary has been pretty dire so I generally have it quite low but I heard the comment. I doubt that anyone actually cares, beyond on cycling forums.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1718867701396.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
How many footballers keel over with cardiac arrest while playing a game? That's befallen several pro footballists lately, and just before I moved house a footballist in the village sadly keeled over and died halfway through a game. Seems to be a spot of cycling is the least of their worries.

AndyRM

XOXO
How many footballers keel over with cardiac arrest while playing a game? That's befallen several pro footballists lately, and just before I moved house a footballist in the village sadly keeled over and died halfway through a game. Seems to be a spot of cycling is the least of their worries.

Christian Eriksen is probably the highest profile of those recently, at the last Euros. I remember watching the game where it happened and it was genuinely scary to see. He just "went".

Thankfully he recovered fully and has already scored a goal in this tournament.

Chislenko

Veteran
Christian Eriksen is probably the highest profile of those recently, at the last Euros. I remember watching the game where it happened and it was genuinely scary to see. He just "went".

Thankfully he recovered fully and has already scored a goal in this tournament.

Tom Lockyer, twice!

Looks like he has decided not to return to football.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I normally dive for the remote to switch channels whenever something football-related comes on the box, but I caught a few seconds of a Harry Kane "interview" the other day. I say "interview" because I've had more engaging conversations with my cat.

Does he always sound like he's just been dragged out of bed and hasn't quite woken up yet? ... and has a monster hangover?
Maybe he should volunteer for a study into the dangers of heading the ball.

AndyRM

XOXO
I normally dive for the remote to switch channels whenever something football-related comes on the box, but I caught a few seconds of a Harry Kane "interview" the other day. I say "interview" because I've had more engaging conversations with my cat.

Does he always sound like he's just been dragged out of bed and hasn't quite woken up yet? ... and has a monster hangover?
Maybe he should volunteer for a study into the dangers of heading the ball.

Watch something other than post match interviews. Prepare to be enlightened.

Footballers aren't as "thick" as some folk would like to make them out to be.

Top Bottom