Films that have surprisingly/secretly made your Top 10 List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
They're not The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Se7en or any other 'obvious' candidates. They are the films that are your guilty pleasures; they may have surprised you - having gone in to watch them with low expectations but come out overjoyed. They are the films you may or may not be comfortable telling your mates that you loved it. They are the films that may not match your usual appreciation of films, or fit in with films someone in your demographic is supposed to exquisitely enjoy.

Mine, Wall.E.

The first 30-40 minutes especially are cinematic genius.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I like the film 'Avalon', but then I've also been known to dabble in UnrealTournament 99 (which is long past it's use-by date, but somehow keeps going :laugh:).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267287/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl
An interesting one, this: shot in Poland, with Polish language, but directed by a Japanese director.

Sorry, I know it doesn't fit your 'watching film not in your demographic' theme, but this film is great, so I wanted to mention it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Pitch Perfect. No way the 12 cert it managed to get, but probably the highest ever scorer on my enjoyment-expectation-ometer. I took Bolletta to see it on spec when it first came out. 200 in the audience, 5 men, 3 people over 25. You see that '1' in the Venn diagram.That was me.

Best quote......
"He's a hunter"
"You call it a dude?"

See it and you'll understand.

ThinAir

Do more.
Friends With Benefits...

Not a 'lads' film.

But does have Mila Kunis. So that makes everything ok. Its the law.

Going to go and watch football and drink beer whilst flying an apache helicopter to re-masculinate myself!

Guilty pleasure = 'The Railway Children'

The proper version, not the poor remake, shot on the Bluebell Railway.

Even now, at almost 48, I can't watch the end without a tear or two running down my face, as Bobbi (Jenny Agutter) shouts "Daddy!, my daddy!!!!"

'Feel good film' = 'Beverly Hill-Billies' (remake)
I ge the feeling that they had such good fun making it, with a cracking cast
The credits at the end contain the cuts & mis-takes
Ie; Diedrich Bader playing twins; the dumbass Jethro, & sister Jethrina

The hoe-down at the end is worth watching alone.

'SurprisinglyGood' = 'Waynes World'
Thought it'd be a 'stoner, movie, but it's sharp,observant & funny
The Bohemian Rhapsody section is the only time I've ever enjoyed Queen,Tia Carrera is HOT!!!!!
Gareth's 'Foxy Lady' dream sequence makes me smile every time I see it

AndyRM

XOXO
Clueless, Jawbreaker, Never Been Kissed, Miss Congeniality, Legally Blonde, 50 First Dates & Moulin Rouge would be up there for me.

Probably not top 10, but given I prefer brutal horror, mindless action or weird psychedelic films, I'm surprised that I enjoy those as much as I do.

alicat

Squire
A Private Function - especially the moment when Richard Griffitths rescues the biscuit from among the toe clippings.

asterix

Comrade Member
'Enigma', a fiction based on fact. e.g. WW2, Bletchley Park, Stalinist massacre of Polish officers. An underrated British production, streets better than the over-hyped, historic distortion, 'U571'.

'O Lucky Man' Malcolm McDowell's epic voyage through the life of an aspiring coffee salesman. Weird, satirical take on just about everything.. Pre-computer age (1973) but none the worse for it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mine, Wall.E.

The first 30-40 minutes especially are cinematic genius.

True, and if they had left it at that it would have been on my list too, but unfortunately there's the rest of the film...

Mine are three animations by Japan's Studio Ghibli: My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - the best thing about having a child is that sometimes you get to watch surprisingly beautiful things that evade cynicism. Oh, and only in the original Japanese versions (we're a bilingual family) because the American dubs mess with the soundtrack, in the case of Kiki's Delivery Service even replacing the perfect happy 50s throwback theme-song with something much less effective.

Here it is (unfortunately just the song):

J1780

Legally blonde.
The Proposal.
Revolving doors.
The Devil wears prada.
actually my list conatins a lot of rom coms
I'm going to stop there!!! Just looking at that list is terrifying :blush:
Most Arnie movies I really enjoy.
I was well impressed with the first shrek movie and like the op I thought Wall E was class.
Schuindlers List... In a slight twist and as a person who likes film and at the risk of going a tiny touch off topic I have to say I put off watching Schindlers List off for 20 years because I didn't think it would be much good and the sheer length of it put me off, now I'm only sorry that I can never watch that film for the first time again. In my opinion it is one of the best films ever made.

Top Bottom