Fantasy Tour de France 2024 *** SPOILERS ***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
IMG_20240722_073221.jpg

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I feel a bit embarrassed at having done so well. People might suspect me of trying. I ended up 53rd out of 30k, and peaked at 6th, which I doubt I will ever repeat.

I just did what I usually do and picked a bunch of riders that I like, including at least one Intermarche-Wanty rider. I had 5 of the best possible team.

My only odd rider was Carapaz who I used to replace Guillaume Martin. Martin is a regular of mine (and is ex- Wanty Groupe Gobert) but all he ever does is climb the GC by going in breaks, and then tries not to fall back. I fancied someone a bit more interesting so I went for Carapaz after watching his crash last year on Netflix.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Returning to my theoretical team of all Brits - for which I had to hire a mysterious ringer called Teddy P because there was only one Brit available in the all rounder class and you need two for a team.

It would have scored 6977 points (of which 55% were from Teddy) and would have been 29th out of 38 in the CC league. Here are the points in full.

Geraint Thomas 88
Teddy P 3841
Adam Yates 1369
Simon Yates 754
Mark Cavendish 256
Thomas Pidcock 306
Fred Wright 80
Stevie Williams 79
Oscar Onley 204

And the British riders who didn't get picked for the team
Dan McLay 20
Ben Turner 58
Jake Stewart 33

Alex321

Guru
Returning to my theoretical team of all Brits - for which I had to hire a mysterious ringer called Teddy P because there was only one Brit available in the all rounder class and you need two for a team.

It would have scored 6977 points (of which 55% were from Teddy) and would have been 29th out of 38 in the CC league. Here are the points in full.

Geraint Thomas 88
Teddy P 3841
Adam Yates 1369
Simon Yates 754
Mark Cavendish 256
Thomas Pidcock 306
Fred Wright 80
Stevie Williams 79
Oscar Onley 204

And the British riders who didn't get picked for the team
Dan McLay 20
Ben Turner 58
Jake Stewart 33

I had four of those in my team, including Adam Yates (the highest scorer and my highest scorer), but still managed to come dead last - by quite a margin.

Things are going to be different this time round. Thibaut's Goats is in it to win it!

People might suspect me of trying.
Make your mind up!

Anyway, chapeau! A truly awesome achievement to finish 53rd overall. I feel confident this is highest placing by a CC'er - altho' we did have a couple of high placings a few years back.

...but still managed to come dead last - by quite a margin.
What is amazing is that there were still 113 teams worse than yours!!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've spent a bit of time trying to pick the worst team I can that totals 100. It's quite difficult and I can't guarantee this is the worst. It's a bit cruel too because the likes of Pedersen and Roglic are in there just due to their ill fortune.

Team total cost 100 credits / 2494 pts

All Rounders
G Thomas, Ineos Grendadiers (10/88)
P Roglic, Red Bull Bora Hansgrohe (20/609)

Climbers
J Hindley, Red Bull Bora Hansgrohe (10/358)
E Bernal, Ineos Grendadiers (12/292)

Sprinter
M Matthews, Jayco Alula (8/174)

Unclassed
T Pidcock, Ineos Grendadiers (10/306)
M van der Poel, Alpecin Deceunink (10/214)
A Bettiol, EF Education Easypost (8/79)

Wildcard
M Pedersen, Lidl Trek (12/374)

Of course you could pick a lower scoring team just by not using all your 100 credits, but that would be cheating.

Alex321

Guru
I've spent a bit of time trying to pick the worst team I can that totals 100. It's quite difficult and I can't guarantee this is the worst. It's a bit cruel too because the likes of Pedersen and Roglic are in there just due to their ill fortune.

Team total cost 100 credits / 2494 pts

All Rounders
G Thomas, Ineos Grendadiers (10/88)
P Roglic, Red Bull Bora Hansgrohe (20/609)

Climbers
J Hindley, Red Bull Bora Hansgrohe (10/358)
E Bernal, Ineos Grendadiers (12/292)

Sprinter
M Matthews, Jayco Alula (8/174)

Unclassed
T Pidcock, Ineos Grendadiers (10/306)
M van der Poel, Alpecin Deceunink (10/214)
A Bettiol, EF Education Easypost (8/79)

Wildcard
M Pedersen, Lidl Trek (12/374)

Of course you could pick a lower scoring team just by not using all your 100 credits, but that would be cheating.

Guess who had 4 of those in his team :smile:
(Thomas, Roglic, Pidcock and Bernal)

Ineos Grenadiers had a terrible tour.

Top Bottom