Falling out of love

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All though I don't do as many miles as the op I too seem to have his problem, with this in mind I have taken two weeks off cycling, like a lot of people recommend on here. My problem now is I feel less like getting back on than I did two weeks ago!
Not sure taking a break was the correct thing to do!

All though I don't do as many miles as the op I too seem to have his problem, with this in mind I have taken two weeks off cycling, like a lot of people recommend on here. My problem now is I feel less like getting back on than I did two weeks ago!
Not sure taking a break was the correct thing to do!

now get out on the bike and have a ride. you will quickly realise who much you missed it.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
You're not going to cry when we're out on Sunday are you?

A box of magnums is the answer.

I really gotta ask what kinda riding you lads plan on doin....

t_magnum_l_12box2.jpg

nathanicola

I went like that a few years ago, that was about this time off year, dark wet commutes. Dont ride to work, try to get there another way either car bus train ect. Save the bike for lesure only it will put the fun back into it. When you HAVE to ride every day the fun can be taken out of it then you might be glad to go for a spin at the weekend or evenings.
If all else fails there is one other thing to get you back in the saddle, where i work many a retired cyclist has blown the cobwebs off there bikes and started giving there knees a good bashing........Strava..

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I went like that a few years ago, that was about this time off year, dark wet commutes. Dont ride to work, try to get there another way either car bus train ect. Save the bike for lesure only it will put the fun back into it. When you HAVE to ride every day the fun can be taken out of it then you might be glad to go for a spin at the weekend or evenings.
If all else fails there is one other thing to get you back in the saddle, where i work many a retired cyclist has blown the cobwebs off there bikes and started giving there knees a good bashing........Strava..
I see what you mean but not commuting by bike isn't really an option.

As for Strava, I'm not really competitive enough for it. I do have the best time for a segment though but I, cheated is the wrong word, manipulated the idea. If anyone wants to take my segment off me it's 230 miles long!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Perhaps you should seriously consider the possibility that it's time for you to give up cycling? Nothing necessarily lasts forever. I found that after 25 years of cheerful horse owning and almost daily horse riding it just no longer worked for me - it was a relief to admit it and to give it up, as it had run its course. Then I took up cycling instead - hey, maybe you could get a horse?

Psychiatrists call this 'working a paradox'
Ok. I've got 4k worth of bikes in my conservatory. I know enough about horses to know that while I may be able to buy a nag for that, the stabling costs will cripple me :smile: nice idea though, I like horses

VamP

Banned
Ok. I've got 4k worth of bikes in my conservatory. I know enough about horses to know that while I may be able to buy a nag for that, the stabling costs will cripple me :smile: nice idea though, I like horses

Oh no. We have a horse in our family. My wife assures me the costs involved are negligible ;)

Nebulous

Guru

What size are you / your bikes? ^_^

I'm not sure how well I'll be able to express this, but exercise puts us under a degree of stress that in some ways our body doesn't want to go through, and your brain/ body will collude to come up with different ways to try and opt out. What you need to do is build riding into your life so that it becomes as natural as breathing, or going to the toilet, not something where you have to make a conscious decision.

I'm 2 years into my cycling/ fitness thing and still love it, but my only previous attempt at exercise was going to the gym. I kept it up for just over a year 2 to 3 times a week. I had a routine, go home, pick up my already packed gym bag, head for the gym, then home for tea. No thinking involved, just plan my evenings in advance and do it. I always enjoyed it when I was there. Where it ran adrift was after a break. If I'd been on holiday getting there was incredibly difficult for the first 2 to 3 times.Eventually I had a break and just didn't go back.

I only had 2 miles to go to work, bought a bike and began to use it regularly in October 2010, but only gave up my car and started commuting at the end of February 2011. I'm sure one of the reasons it took so long was the finality of it. I wanted to leave myself that escape route, that backdoor to wriggle out if I had to. What we need to do is shut down those escape routes.

I spent a miserable year or so as a financial adviser, and hated selling. It certainly wasn't for me. My boss used to say. 'Imagine you are walking backwards down a corridor with the customer following you. You want to get him/her to the other end, which is the sale. All along the corridor there are these side doors where the customer can escape. What you need to do is flick them closed as you reach them, before the customer gets to them.'

Although I didn't like that analogy at the time I see some parallels with riding. I will get out of bed and go out on my bike, not doing it can't be an option or not doing it will be easier next time, until eventually I just won't bother. So I need to minimise my escape routes.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
My bikes are all big.

I don't think my problem is to do with discipline. I think it is to do with doing too much cycling. It's very rare that I will wake up in a morning and come up with an excuse not to commute by bike (although I do sometimes try to build in a day working from home in advance) and so I will usually commute 120 miles a week by bike.

Ever since I got my first bike when I was 20ish (wasn't allowed one as a kid), I've loved cycling. Really loved cycling to the extent I've been willing to do some bonkers things just because it involves being on a bike. In the last 3 weeks to a month though, that has gone to quite a large extent. I did the FNRttC on Friday but although I enjoyed myself, it just wasn't the same and this was noticed by other people.

I am committed to a couple of rides (Brighton with the old cars for example although I think the weather is starting to look suspect for that one) but then I think I may wind down until after Xmas. A couple of rides on my own into Kent that don't take up my whole day may be called for. I'll see.

Hello Martin,
I'm just playing catch-up, slowly but surely (like my cycling speed) and this is an interesting thread. Don't beat yourself up about it (although it'll not make much difference visually). I have too many bikes for what I do too - it's only metal, plastic and rubber - don't worry. See you Sunday morning for a nice chat, and then after five minutes you can drift off and talk to someone sensible.
Would you like me to post some pics of 'the bad old days' of helmets / headcams and bling in order to see how much you have matured in revered company? :smile:
Giddy up! I'm not bimbling down to Stonehenge with another lethargic git next year!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'll try to get out on sunday morning. I don't think we need the old photos though.

We have to remember to go to stonehenge first :biggrin:

Top Bottom