Falling out of love

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

This is a bit of a weird one. 2-3 months you'd have had to tie me down to stop me riding a bike. Now I'm struggling to get on one. I'm still commuting 5 days a week and I'm planning to go out on Sunday for 100 miler with RB58,ianrauk et al. For some reason, 100 miles suddenly strikes me as a long way.

Also I was thinking of doing my training loop on Sat morning which is a 4 hour, 65 mile loop and frankly my mind is saying "Can't be a***d". Does this happen to others?

Of course it does. Perfectly normal.

Sometimes the shortest of rides can be the best. I went down to my local shops this morning and back with cold wind and drizzle fighting back thoughts of "just get in the car". Once the legs were going i thought this is fab!

So plan for a short run and if you discover it's fun (which you will) keep on going.... .

You don't have to do 100 milers. You don't have to do x miles in y hours. Who is going to chastise you? Replace the word "training" with "fun".

It may be the constant commute that's getting you down? Doesn't sound like you give yourself a break from routine.

amaferanga

Veteran
Sounds like you're getting a bit stale. When's the last time you took time off the bike (like a month off)? Once maybe twice a year a month off (not totally - but mostly) is what all the pro's do. Your body needs a break.

Unless he's doing a huge mileage then a month (mostly) off is totally unnecessary. You can't compare the demands on a recreational cyclist to a Pro, that's a bit silly.

I'd say do something different. Different and new routes, ride a different bike, do some short, fact rides instead of a whole day ride at the weekend, etc. Anything that's different from what you do now to break up the routine.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2101167 said:
Just imagine if, instead of a seat post, we could have a force field that held the saddle, or was the saddle, in the right place.
If such a device existed what need would we have of bicycles?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can highly recommend serious illness as a cure - I haven't been able to ride a bike since July 22nd and now I'm gagging for it! :thumbsup:

More seriously ... Do something different. What are the bridleways and canal towpaths like in your area? Get yourself a hardtail mountain bike or a hybrid bike and go and explore them - slowly! Set a maximum average speed of (say) 8 mph and potter about between pubs and cafes, preferably with some like-minded people.

In the spring, I took my non-cyclist niece out for a tour of the lanes NW of Coventry and we took well over 2 hours to do 20 miles or so. She was chuffed with herself, and I enjoyed taking it easy, chatting to her and looking at the countryside.

VamP

Banned
Unless he's doing a huge mileage then a month (mostly) off is totally unnecessary. You can't compare the demands on a recreational cyclist to a Pro, that's a bit silly.

I'd say do something different. Different and new routes, ride a different bike, do some short, fact rides instead of a whole day ride at the weekend, etc. Anything that's different from what you do now to break up the routine.

If he's doing average 800 miles per month, then one month of no more than 200 would be beneficial, mainly psychologically, but physiologically also. Any fitness losses would be shortlived, and reversed in the medium term.

I agree he should do something different. Swim, or run or different type of cycling are all valid options. I just think his 20 days of commuting is wearing him down and making it all a bit of a drag.

Note that he's not just feeling stale, he's publicly vocalizing it.

amaferanga

Veteran
If he's doing average 800 miles per month, then one month of no more than 200 would be beneficial, mainly psychologically, but physiologically also. Any fitness losses would be shortlived, and reversed in the medium term.

I agree he should do something different. Swim, or run or different type of cycling are all valid options. I just think his 20 days of commuting is wearing him down and making it all a bit of a drag.

Fair enough. If it was me I'd want a change as opposed to a complete break, but I can see that a break might be good for some.

400bhp

Guru

^^THIS^^

Absolutely spot on.

When we want a slow ride we invite @Potsy:evil:

Last month we did 105 miles along the trans pennine trail - on crappy mountain bikes etc. Brilliant fun doing 80% of miles off road.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe it is time to change things around a bit. The hardtail is actually kitted out for commuting at the mo (although not used for commuting for about 8 years!) and it would slow me down (or take going quickly out of the realms of possibility!)

I did recently take up swimming again but quickly got jaded of it as I've never found out how far I can swim. I got up to 150 lengths of the local pool and then got bored. Shame I don't live near the sea, I think sea swimming would be more fun. Although maybe not for another 6 months or so :cold:

a lot of sense I think in the replies from dellzeqq and colinj. Might be an idea to take the speedo off the bike as well for a while. I've never been a racer but after getting a GPS which of course tells me how far I've ridden in a day anyway (which I like to know) I've taken the speedo off one of my bikes. I find I ride in a more relaxed way and I prefer the rythm - also of course I'm getting older.

Use a bike with different more relaxed gearing that won't encourage you to keep changing up/speeding up.

Take up touring with a ton of shoot on the back.

As folks say, enjoy the environment - you're not driving a car/hurtling thgrough the scenery - interesting stuff is on your doorstep.

Pootle - nothing to stop you pootling a long way.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I think it's impending winter blues. I felt the same last weekend, but got out with the boys and had an awesome ride with lots of PB's in it. Nothing like a bit of sunshine to rekindle the fire.

Top Bottom