Falling out of love

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
This is a bit of a weird one. 2-3 months you'd have had to tie me down to stop me riding a bike. Now I'm struggling to get on one. I'm still commuting 5 days a week and I'm planning to go out on Sunday for 100 miler with RB58,ianrauk et al. For some reason, 100 miles suddenly strikes me as a long way.

Also I was thinking of doing my training loop on Sat morning which is a 4 hour, 65 mile loop and frankly my mind is saying "Can't be a***d". Does this happen to others?

I have a week off in November and was contemplating doing my Nelson ride again but with the "and back" bit thrown in but I don't think it's worth setting off unless my head is in the right place. It was tough enough mentally the first time.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. Age. You're not as young as you were
2. Age (2) You're at the point in life at which tall people start to get shorter. The world seems bigger, Everything is further away.
3. Age (3) You're at the point in life where ambition is fading. Damon Hill retired from motor-racing not because he felt he was slowing down, but because he found himself thinking 'what's the rush?'.

You need to use cycling in a different way, a way of seeing the world afresh. Buy a copy of Pevsner and look at the roads on your commute. Get yourself a Brompton and ride to the shops, a friends house, or just around your neighbourhood for the heck of it. Take the Brommie out to Crayford and on to Swanscombe by as many routes as you can find. Stop to admire the birds on the marshes, the bridge, the oddness of home-made signs, the strangeness of London's margins. Seek out the wonder in the everyday. Cultivate a passion for the things that are nearest to you.

Ride less, but for a longer time. Ride slower. Ride sweeter. Ride more appreciatively.

VamP

Banned
This is a bit of a weird one. 2-3 months you'd have had to tie me down to stop me riding a bike. Now I'm struggling to get on one. I'm still commuting 5 days a week and I'm planning to go out on Sunday for 100 miler with RB58,ianrauk et al. For some reason, 100 miles suddenly strikes me as a long way.

Also I was thinking of doing my training loop on Sat morning which is a 4 hour, 65 mile loop and frankly my mind is saying "Can't be a***d". Does this happen to others?

I have a week off in November and was contemplating doing my Nelson ride again but with the "and back" bit thrown in but I don't think it's worth setting off unless my head is in the right place. It was tough enough mentally the first time.

Sounds like you're getting a bit stale. When's the last time you took time off the bike (like a month off)? Once maybe twice a year a month off (not totally - but mostly) is what all the pro's do. Your body needs a break.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Look Mart,
just say if you think mine and Ross' company is rubbish.......stop beating around the bush, we are happy to go on our own :thumbsup:

Have the week off in November and don't touch the bikes.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sounds like you're getting a bit stale. When's the last time you took time off the bike (like a month off)? Once maybe twice a year a month off (not totally - but mostly) is what all the pro's do. Your body needs a break.
I commute 5 days a week by bike. Getting the train drives me nuts.

I've not done any ride over 40 miles for about a month now. I also haven't been out on Lelly (the good bike) for about a month.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
just say if you think mine and Ross' company is rubbish.......stop beating around the bush, we are happy to go on our own :thumbsup:
Well I didn't want to say....... :tongue:

It's just weird. I think bailing on Whitstable was possibly a symptom too (along with the cold and wet). You know me, if anything I usually look at 100 miles as not far enough to be worth doing rather than too far!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Get yourself a Brompton
With a telescopic seat post, natch

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have suddenly felt like that since the beginning of the month. I am putting it down to the change in weather and prepping up to commute in the winter.

This week I have made a decision not to think about it, and just ride and everytime I start to put in a bit of hard effort I am now backing off and just keep a high spin low push. So far this week I have felt better.

Going back to enjoying the ride rather than flat out all the time. I also find stopping doing anything (in your case long ride) that they can seem daunting again until you re-start doing them again. So go and enjoy the 100 miler on Sunday!

VamP

Banned
I commute 5 days a week by bike. Getting the train drives me nuts.

I've not done any ride over 40 miles for about a month now. I also haven't been out on Lelly (the good bike) for about a month.

Yeah, hence why you're getting fed up. As dan_bo says, take November off, you'll be climbing the walls itching to get back on by the end of the month. You'll feel stronger and ride faster too.

Buying a new bike is optional. ;)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Whatever you do, do it NOW! I had a similar thing going on toward the end of last year, I ignored it until the point I gave up running and cycling for about 6-7 months (not really out of conscious choice, just couldn't face doing it)! I even bought a new bike, but it didn't help :tongue:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Agree with the others, take some time off now if you can. It caught up with me and I hardly did any riding in 2011 as I just could never be arsed to go out. Glad to say got the mojo back this year though.

Top Bottom