Driving Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
My father and I both passed first time. My mother started lessons, but decided she couldn't hack it and gave up without ever taking a test.

Personally, I think people should have to pass as many tests as they fail. After all 50% success rate isn't a lot to ask, and the idea that someone should get a licence if they pass once after failing multiple times is ridiculous. If you fail six times then pass once what's the most likely outcome of another test?

The most likely result would be that you pass.

It isn't random, and you pass because you have now learned and improved, not (usually) because you got lucky.

dicko

Guru
A pal did his test in a Herald and said he'd muffed the 3-point turn but got away with it because of the incredibly tight turning circle of said car. I had a Vitesse (the 2 litre straight six version of the Herald) many years later and the ability to so a u turn in a quite narrow road was quite something. Supposedly you could wreck the trunions collapsing the front wheels if you did it at any speed

I had a 2L Vitesse (weak gearbox) but my Hillman Imp family could run rings around the Triumphs.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
In 1968 my wife to be after ten lessons in a Hillman Imp, and driving my Singer Chamois Sport on L plates) put in for her driving test at her instructor recommendation. All went well then the three questions one being ‘Will you meet me for a drink tonight’? No! She told him, he failed her. Six months later same again this time ‘Ok’ she said he passed her.
Blimey, to attempt a test after just ten lessons was ambitious!
My folks didn't insure my on their car, so I only had 15 hours driving experience from formal lessons before taking my test. I was sweating buckets from nervousness; but somehow I passed.

In hindsight I consider that the wrong result. There's no way I was a competent driver of sufficient experience to be allowed out without supervision. The driving test of the 1980s was clearly not fit for purpose.

My son's learning currently, both with an instructor, and also with me. This will ensure he has a good level of experience before he gets behind the wheel on his own. And if he does fail his test, it won't be from lack of practice.

dicko

Guru
Blimey, to attempt a test after just ten lessons was ambitious!
My folks didn't insure my on their car, so I only had 15 hours driving experience from formal lessons before taking my test. I was sweating buckets from nervousness; but somehow I passed.

In hindsight I consider that the wrong result. There's no way I was a competent driver of sufficient experience to be allowed out without supervision. The driving test of the 1980s was clearly not fit for purpose.

My son's learning currently, both with an instructor, and also with me. This will ensure he has a good level of experience before he gets behind the wheel on his own. And if he does fail his test, it won't be from lack of practice.

In the late 60s ten lessons was a bit over the top. Lessons were £1 an hour and eight was the normal. Must remember that cars weren’t about like these days and being courteous was the norm. Insurance was a few £ my wife to be paid £14 in her first year on her Morris 8 series E side valve motor car.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My father and I both passed first time. My mother started lessons, but decided she couldn't hack it and gave up without ever taking a test.

Personally, I think people should have to pass as many tests as they fail. After all 50% success rate isn't a lot to ask, and the idea that someone should get a licence if they pass once after failing multiple times is ridiculous. If you fail six times then pass once what's the most likely outcome of another test?

I disagree. After failing 6 tests, one would expect that the learner would have improved in skills and confidence. Making them sit another 5 tests to pass is draconian. I had a friend at school who, like me, had been driving cars and tractors on a farm since they were 11 years old, but he still failed 6 tests and passed on his 7th attempt. Due to nerves, he messed up a different thing each time. When you're driving as a licensed driver, you tend not to have an examiner sitting next to you, so normal legal driving is much less stressful.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had a 2L Vitesse (weak gearbox) but my Hillman Imp family could run rings around the Triumphs.

The gearbox was fine on mine; overheating was the chronic issue, which I never solved. Managed it by carrying two gallons of water: one to cool the engine after it brewed up, and the second to re-fill. It was OK at speed but would boil over as soon as you stopped.

Even the notorious swing axles on the back never caught me out despite my driving like a bit of a twat back then

Last edited:

presta

Guru
The most likely result would be that you pass.

It isn't random, and you pass because you have now learned and improved, not (usually) because you got lucky.

I disagree. After failing 6 tests, one would expect that the learner would have improved in skills and confidence. Making them sit another 5 tests to pass is draconian. I had a friend at school who, like me, had been driving cars and tractors on a farm since they were 11 years old, but he still failed 6 tests and passed on his 7th attempt. Due to nerves, he messed up a different thing each time. When you're driving as a licensed driver, you tend not to have an examiner sitting next to you, so normal legal driving is much less stressful.

You're right, it isn't random. If someone hasn't learned after six tests it's not very likely they're going to have learned any more by the next one. If they have improved, it shouldn't be any difficulty for them to demonstrate that with at least one more test.

Drago

Legendary Member
You're right, it isn't random. If someone hasn't learned after six tests it's not very likely they're going to have learned any more by the next one. If they have improved, it shouldn't be any difficulty for them to demonstrate that with at least one more test.

By placing a limit on the numbers of tests one could take itmwould also free up appointments for first timers who wanted a crack.

My ex wife, silly old #&%^ @£&]( @#÷=÷ that she was, took 7 goes before she somehow scraped through. 6 of those appointments could have been used by people who actually knew how to drive and stood a sporting chance passing.

I don't think 3 is an unreasonable ceiling. If you fail first go you have a couple more chances to address your failings. If you suffer with nerves then you have two more opportunities to actually do something to address it instead of simply turning up as bundle of nerves yet again and hoping for the best as people tend to do now.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
In the late 60s ten lessons was a bit over the top. Lessons were £1 an hour and eight was the normal. Must remember that cars weren’t about like these days and being courteous was the norm. Insurance was a few £ my wife to be paid £14 in her first year on her Morris 8 series E side valve motor car.

I passed my test in 1987 after only 8 lessons. Mind you, my dad also took me out for practice twice a week.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad was a RoSPA trainer, at the time very unusual for a non ex copper, although as an engineer and pilot he was used to applying extreme diligence in everything he did.

He taught me to drive and he would hover menacingly with a steel rule flexed in his hands. If I made an error, no matter how tiny, he'd pounce and give me the good news over the back of my Knuckles.

My hands were bloody tatters, but I tell you what - I never made the same mistake twice! It really aided concentration!!!

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Surely better not to do that, to ensure they haven’t just passed through rote learning, but actual skills for the road.

She will drive a whole variety of road types overall country lanes, town and 70 mph dual carriageways. She will have at least 200 hours of practical driving before taking her test.

But learning the test area is key to not being caught out.

My other kids took their test in a different area, there was very early on in the vast majority of tests a turning into a market square in a town. Being a town it was 30 mph limit, but for 100 yds the speed limit dropped to 20mph. Not a problem, except the speed signs were mounted really high so buses and large vehicle didn't hit them. They were almost hidden. I was speaking with a couple of driving instructors, who told me that is the examiners favourite route, so many get failed for not seeing or knowing about the limit change. Directly after leaving the market square is a huge yellow box at the lights, where if you set off when the lights go green, you can often get trapped in the box because the traffic hasn't cleared away from the other set of lights. Patience is to wait and assess there will be space to clear the box, which takes a bit of confidence to know what to do and not panic is making a rash move.

These are all the local knowledge tips a learner driver needs to have a successful pass.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I passed both car and motorbike tests first time but I had no car so only had driving school cars and only a small motorbike at the time. Mostly I drove Fergie tractors for a while after passing but at least I was road legal.
I taught none of my family. Wife and two sons went to driving schools and passed ok.

Top Bottom