Driving Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My wife had two attempts at car test both in driving school cars.Triumph Heralds I seem to remember.
First one when she had to do a hill start the handbrake came to bits and test abandoned.
Second one she was 8 months pregnant and thought the examiner was too frightened to be too severe so she passed.
Turned into a very competent driver and I had no qualms about being a passenger when rewuired.

A pal did his test in a Herald and said he'd muffed the 3-point turn but got away with it because of the incredibly tight turning circle of said car. I had a Vitesse (the 2 litre straight six version of the Herald) many years later and the ability to so a u turn in a quite narrow road was quite something. Supposedly you could wreck the trunions collapsing the front wheels if you did it at any speed

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I once stopped a car to inform the driver they had a brake light out. Turns out it was a driving test and the examiner binned it off then and there due to the unroadworthy vehicle. I bet I was popular.

gbb

Squire
It'd be interesting to see the percentages of first times that actually pass first time. I think there's a general conception that examiners are highly likely to fail first timers nowadays.
My grand daughter failed her first last year, passed it the second time

dicko

Guru
In April 1967 I applied for my motorcar driving test after 8 lessons. I also applied for my motorcycle test too both cost 7/6d. As it happened the very next week I took and passed both tests on the same day with the same examiner.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've taught six relatives/friends to drive and pass their test. My youngest will be learning with me this winter.

Soon as they start driving, we will book her test, it can take 3-4 months to get a test around here.

In the meantime they will drive every day to and from sixth form. This will encompasses country lanes and fast dual carriageway driving.

Weekends we will work on learning the local test centre routes and slow speed manoeuvres

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My daughter failed on a fairly minor thing with a roundabout first time. She wasn't used to failing at anything ! Passed second time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I passed first time as I've always been quite adept at passing tests. Doesn't mean I was any good. I just remembered all the key points.

I didn't drive at all (or very occasionally) for the following 15 or so years, so after that I took lessons before driving regularly, with the aim of learning how to drive (rather than learning how to pass the test)

Dave7

Legendary Member
I passed 1st time in 1964 when I was 17.
Failed my motorbike test and never bothered again.
Wife failed her car test twice. She changed instructors and passed.
She was imo a very good driver and I was always comfortable as a passenger.

presta

Guru
My father and I both passed first time. My mother started lessons, but decided she couldn't hack it and gave up without ever taking a test.

Personally, I think people should have to pass as many tests as they fail. After all 50% success rate isn't a lot to ask, and the idea that someone should get a licence if they pass once after failing multiple times is ridiculous. If you fail six times then pass once what's the most likely outcome of another test?

dicko

Guru
In 1968 my wife to be after ten lessons in a Hillman Imp, and driving my Singer Chamois Sport on L plates) put in for her driving test at her instructor recommendation. All went well then the three questions one being ‘Will you meet me for a drink tonight’? No! She told him, he failed her. Six months later same again this time ‘Ok’ she said he passed her.
Her father, ex Royal Navy, staked out the pub along with her the examiner didn’t show.
My Mrs is an excellent driver I feel much safer when she drives these days.

Top Bottom