Do you use toeclips?

Well do you?

• Are you insane?

• Never stopped

• These polls never have the exact option for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Used em in the 70s, fell off a couple of times, SPD is so much better :becool:
Same here!

When I first got back into cycling I had toeclips on my pedals. I thought I would tackle a local monster climb - 'Mytholm Steeps'. I surprised myself by getting up the 15+% 'foothills', and had even managed to get up the 25% ramp... (picture taken on another ride years later, when I failed!)

But then a moron motorist shot up behind me and decided to overtake on the horribly steep LH hairpin bend. He cut me up and forced me onto the 35%(?) cobbled section shown in the photo below.

I came to a dead stop before the drain and toppled sideways because I could not get my feet off the pedals.

I switched to clipless shortly after that and would never go back!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Still using flats

Baldy

Über Member
Been using toeclips for decades, brought some new shoes last year. The toeclips scuffed them up. The shoes had the screw holes for cleats, I thought I'd try them. Wow, so much better.

I now have clipless on both my road and touring bikes. I've not put them on my mountain bike yet as I normally ride in walking boots when I'm on that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Got into clipless when my LBS offered me a pair of half price shoes to persuade me as he thought they were so much better when I bought my first MTB c. 2000.

Was further convinced of benefits of Look roadie cleats by riding them on the velodrome.

Recently binned my last pair of toeclips off the tandem for single sided pedals instead.

My commuter also has single sided so I can wear normal shoes on it too for general riding.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Same here!

When I first got back into cycling I had toeclips on my pedals. I thought I would tackle a local monster climb - 'Mytholm Steeps'. I surprised myself by getting up the 15+% 'foothills', and had even managed to get up the 25% ramp... (picture taken on another ride years later, when I failed!)

View attachment 515789

But then a moron motorist shot up behind me and decided to overtake on the horribly steep LH hairpin bend. He cut me up and forced me onto the 35%(?) cobbled section shown in the photo below.

View attachment 515790

I came to a dead stop before the drain and toppled sideways because I could not get my feet off the pedals.

I switched to clipless shortly after that and would never go back!
That moment of realisation that your feet are stuck is horrible.. Slightly off topic but that's a nice bike. Is it a Saeco Cannondale?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That moment of realisation that your feet are stuck is horrible..
It IS. Having had a foot slip off a flat pedal in the past, I like the security of being attached to my pedals but not semi-permanently as with toeclips!

The bike shown in the picture had Look pedals so I had great wedges of plastic on the soles of my shoes. As I mentioned above, my legs had given up on me so I had just done an emergency dismount. Look cleats and 25% tarmac are not a good combination! My foot slipped when I put it down and I nearly faceplanted on the road. I switched to MTB SPD type pedals/shoes after that!

Slightly off topic but that's a nice bike. Is it a Saeco Cannondale?
Well spotted! I have been riding it for about 17 years and it is still a great bike. I have made various changes over the years, including a triple chainset to help me get up evil Yorkshire and Lancashire climbs like that one.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Flats keep cycling simple and casual in nature. Like it should be. No need to have cycling-specific footwear or have to think about what footwear is appropriate to wear when doing some activity that may involve riding a bike from A to B as part of it.
One argument I hear in favour of attaching yourself to the pedals is your feet don't bounce off on rough terrain. That's true, but there's another solution. Simply slow down and take it easy rather than launching yourself over a rough surface as fast as possible.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have / had a pair of strapped cages on my old OCR and prefer them to SPDs for general use since they play nicely with normal shoes. I never actually use the straps though (I have enough of a problem with SPDs - bugger physically attaching yourself to the pedals via a method that requires use of your hands to get out again!).

I like the additional security the cages bring in allowing you to push forwardswithout having to worry about your feet slipping.

The pedals are currently om my CdF and while discovering its / my off-road limits recently they were easy enough to get out of on the numerous times I came to an unintentional dead stop.

I like SPDs on the road bike where the terrain is less technical and more predictable and am undecided as to whether to go with SPDs on the CdF yet, although on balance I probably will.

I agree that the SPD / pull-up power claim in rubbish, however I do find that you can effectively pedal "backward" just with the upstroke if you don't need to be putting in much power, which gives your more conventional muscle groups a rest for a while :smile:

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom