Do I use less petrol at lower revs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 2776682, member: 9609"]How old was the car you bought - and are you remembering to push the choke in when it gets warmed up?[/quote]
Its a 2000 model, and I am not sure what you mean by choke (unless it is some kind of joke that I just dont get?).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Manual choke Matt... the cars, that we learned to drive in, had them.... google it.

U

User33236

My car in stock format gets a measly 18-20 mpg on a long motorway run at a steady 70 mph. Unexpectedly after fitting a K&N cold air intake and uploading a performance tune to the ECU it now gets 22-24 mpg on the same long runs.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Manual choke Matt... the cars, that we learned to drive in, had them.... google it.
Ah, well whats the modern version of it? Or have you lot been stuck in your cubby hole painting portraits of the Model T for too long to know what 'modern' is?

mustang1

Legendary Member
When you are stopped at traffic lights on a geared bike, you can choose several ways to accelerate once the lights go green (or perhaps you're a RLJ, you can still go when the lights are red though you should follow the law)... where was I? Oh yeah...

You can start off in a low gear and accelerate quickly, then change up the gears. Or you can start in a high gear, and accelerate slowly. Or you can start in a high gear, get off the saddle, have initial acceleration be slow but quite quickly build up a good turn of speed. You should do how you feel is right for you, using the least amount of energy. Same with a car, just do what feels rights.

Here's an experiment: cover the tachometer with paper+glue so you cant see it, and just drive the car by the sound of the engine and the feel of the response. Report back.

mattobrien

Guru
I have always preferred smiles per mile rather than miles per gallon, well in more fun cars anyway.

Previous track based car didn't have much in the way of a rev counter below 4,000 and the Elise has a similar arrangement but only up to 3,000. Fortunately, being relatively light they aren't too bad on fuel.

All that said, when driving the oil burner I can be a bit of a frugal old bugger. Oddly Mrs O's car, also an oil burner but a little more rewarding to drive, I tend to have a heavier right foot. Plus hers is rear wheel drive, as cars should be, so it drives properly...

asterix

Comrade Member
I have always done this, can't break the habit, but every time my cars have required to have brake problems fixed they tell me the problem has arisen due to lack of use of the brakes, and I am urged to use the brakes more.
What I save on road fuel I spend on brake repairs, you can't win!^_^

I had that problem when I owned a Renault. Since selling the thing and buying a different make it has gone away.

Top Bottom