Do I use less petrol at lower revs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You don't need all this opinion, data statistics....just do what I do, drive by the MPG readout on the cars computer. You soon learn where the sweet spots are, what speeds in what conditions are economical and what aren't.

Oh...that'd kill the thread though :blush:

My car is old, and doesn't have one of those. :blush: The only readout I have is my human body and all its nerves, which tells me if the engine is purring, chugging or screaming.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When you start off with a 1200 Beetle that has 34 bhp.... you soon learn how to manipulate gears and feel for the engine speeds to get the best out of it.... so getting 60 to 65mpg average, out of a Bluemotion engine now, is a doddle. When this one goes the next target is one that will average over 70... and so on, until the day have to pay me to put fuel in one.... [as well as the bike].

snailracer

Über Member
You don't need all this opinion, data statistics....just do what I do, drive by the MPG readout on the cars computer. You soon learn where the sweet spots are, what speeds in what conditions are economical and what aren't.

Oh...that'd kill the thread though :blush:
The computers may tell you what your instantaneous mpg is, or what your trip mpg is, but don't have a strategy for how quickly you should accelerate/decelerate or what gear change points should be used to get up to cruising speed most efficiently.
They are also wildly inaccurate, but probably more accurate than the first generation economy meters that simply measured inlet vacuum.

Scoop940

Not read the whole thread but my Dad could extract the most ridiculous MPG from his cars.. 1st, 2nd, 5th, accelerate ever so lightly barely breathing on the accelerator, never did more than 55 mph. He used to get close to 70mpg from a petrol 1.6 Mk2 Astra - calculated properly not exaggerated trip readings. ( It was his company car that he drove all day and he'd worked out by doing this he could fill mum's car up too and it didn't show up as odd on his expenses.)

I don't drive like him, I do my bit for the environment by using LPG 69.9p/litre :thumbsup:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
[QUOTE 2817313, member: 9609"]In all my years of working with diesels, I have never heard a non turbo referred to as a "Suction Engine" If I was wanting to sound clever I may use the term 'naturally aspirated' but have never come across Suction Engine.[/quote]
Germans!

Top Bottom