Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexvs

I ordered my XP500 yesterday from WHS but it's not yet arrived.... Looks like whilst I ordered in the morning at the point it was still in stock (22 units apparently), unless it appears before I finish typing this, I won't have enough time to charge it up for my home-ward commute this evening :sad:

Needless to say, when it does arrive, this will be my first proper light (and it's my first Autumn/Winter commuting) so I'll share my "relative noob" experiences with it on these boards once I've had the chance to see what it can do :thumbsup:

Excellent will look forward to your feedback and to using mine when I get it (hopefully by end of week) :biggrin:

Xp500 sold out! No, my mistake (or their website's). It reappeared shortly after I posted this, so I got all excited and ordered one.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Excellent will look forward to your feedback and to using mine when I get it (hopefully by end of week) :biggrin:
Well, since the delivery driver has been and gone with no sign of my XP500 I gave WHS a call.... turns out my order (along with a few others) has been delayed, and I now won't get my light until Thursday.

It's the first time I've bought anything from them, and I'm disappointed that I had to fight to get the special next day delivery I had paid for refunded... should have been automatically refunded IMHO.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait :biggrin:

Alexvs

Xp500 sold out! No, my mistake (or their website's). It reappeared shortly after I posted this, so I got all excited and ordered one.

Seems there'll be a few people on here with this light then.

Well, since the delivery driver has been and gone with no sign of my XP500 I gave WHS a call.... turns out my order (along with a few others) has been delayed, and I now won't get my light until Thursday.

It's the first time I've bought anything from them, and I'm disappointed that I had to fight to get the special next day delivery I had paid for refunded... should have been automatically refunded IMHO.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait :biggrin:

I actually only found this due to your Original thread and glad I did as the light comparison article posted from road.cc proved it was the better choice over the Hope 1. Thanks and sure it'll be worth it
thumbsup.png

Downward

Guru
That looks like the business :smile: seems cheap enough too :smile: one review said about the brackets etc being rubbish?

Im guessing it would come with a UK plug if requested?

1st Dark commute tonight - The light is super bright - Off rode along the Cycle Route 5 it was fine. I did fudge a QR bracket from an old back light but the spring isn't that strong and it popped off twice (Doesn't help the folder handlebars vibrate like mad and the small wheels don't soak up the bumpy tarmac)

I will have to think about a solution though but it's brighter than my 2 Tesco torches when it's on the low light mode so that gives an indication how bright it is.

Light

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Not sure what to make of WHS at this point, since my Moon XP500 arrived this morning :wacko:

First impressions are that it's a very nice piece of kit – small, solidly constructed and with a good handlebar mount. It also comes with a helmet mount, wall charger and USB lead, and everything is contained in a small bag with foam insert to keep everything in place. Very neat :thumbsup:

Needless to say, it's all charged up, fitted and I have to say I'm really looking forward to not having to navigate via telepathy this evening.... only an hour or so now until the Moon comes up, and I'll let you know how I get on :whistle:

Ross K

Regular
I bit the bullet a while back and paid a shade over 200 notes for an Exposure Toro. Expensive at £4.50 per lumen but boy, what an impressive light! All self-contained too, so convenient and means you have a mega torch when it's off the bike. Highly recommended.

Alexvs

Not sure what to make of WHS at this point, since my Moon XP500 arrived this morning :wacko:

First impressions are that it's a very nice piece of kit – small, solidly constructed and with a good handlebar mount. It also comes with a helmet mount, wall charger and USB lead, and everything is contained in a small bag with foam insert to keep everything in place. Very neat :thumbsup:

Needless to say, it's all charged up, fitted and I have to say I'm really looking forward to not having to navigate via telepathy this evening.... only an hour or so now until the Moon comes up, and I'll let you know how I get on :whistle:

At least you got it, I haven't received mine but am hoping it might come tomorrow or friday as I ordered on the phone yesterday but haven't had any email communication or anything. From your other feedback thread on them and how helpful they were on the phone to me I'm sure they're a decent company.

Let us know what to expect when you've had to get a proper dark ride
biggrin.gif

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Let us know what to expect when you've had to get a proper dark ride
biggrin.gif
Very happy chappy here :biggrin: Used the XP500 on high setting for most of my commute, only turning up to the 500 lumens "overdrive" mode when I hit the tree-lined cycle path.

You've no doubt seen the beam shots over on road.cc and I can confirm that for me, this little light (and it is small!) puts the illumination right where you need it. There's a nice bright central section and enough spill to light up the edge of the road and the area in front of the tyre. I felt much more confident and was able to ride at my normal pace (16-20mph).

My only slightly negative comment, is that pressing the button to cycle through all the modes includes "off" despite the fact that you can turn the light off with a long press of the button... IMHO it might have been better to require a long press to switch both on and off, saving short presses to cycle the modes. Overall though, a great wee light :thumbsup:

Alexvs

Thanks for the feedback and that's great to hear :thumbsup:

I've still not received any order confirmation so am gonna give them a ring and see what's going on as was told they'll email confirmation and order updates via email which I gave them. Was hoping to have it today for my commute home but as long as I have it by tomorrow will be fine for the weekend.

Matthames

Über Member
Just received my Moon X-power 1000. I am seriously impressed with the power output of these things. Shone it up my garden and could see pretty much as if it was daylight.

Going to try them out in anger on the commute home tomorrow.

Alexvs

I spoke to them earlier as thought it strange I'd not had a confirmation and they actually spelt my name wrong so that's why no email. They confirmed it was sent out yesterday too with their 6pm collection by royal mail recorded delivery so should be here tomorrow :smile: Can't wait as tired of not being able to see the path lol

niggle

Now that the clocks have gone back and my homeward commute has been plunged into darkness, I have taken a couple of photos of my Magicshine lighting set-up http://www.dealextre...-included-42077 about £36 and http://www.dealextre...-included-29489 about £49, with the bike parked up at the roadside with a car passing for comparison, both are on steady setting and the front is on the lowest power and well dipped, i.e. the beam centre is aimed about 2m in front of the bike (if I remember I will try to do an unlit road pic for the front light tomorrow):

6310471718_093a85ba52.jpg
6309959357_65903926c6.jpg

Alexvs

Bit of a weird one today as I contacted WHS to find out if the light will come today as I put down my work address and we don't work weekends so wouldn't have been much use getting it tomorrow. On the tracking site it says it's been delivered and signed for but doesn't say by who and 2 people checking the post this morning didn't find it so I now don't know what to do as it's either been delivered to the wrong address or never delivered at all. The receptionist hasn't got the parcel number on her list of all items that came today and were signed for so I'm hoping I can find out who and where it was signed for so I can locate it. Just hope no ones made off with my new light :ohmy:

Loads of people get bits delivered to work and never had problems but always me that has to be the first lol hopefully I'll find it but jeffmcg you should've had yours today too so just don't tell me otherwise I'll get jealous :tongue:

Top Bottom