Classic this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning, on one of the larger urban side streets on my commute (20mph limit), I spot a car up ahead doing about 10mph. As I get closer it is still doing 10mph (nothing wrong with that as such) and as I am going quicker I decide to overtake. As I do that I notice that the driver is trying to clear a sheet of ice off the front winscreen with the wipers. Not very successfully of course! :wacko:

I overtake doing the obligatory Magnatom headshake. :headshake:

Anyway about 50m later he picks up speed and pulls around me, only for me to catch him at the next junction. As I approach I notice he is winding down his passenger side window. Not, I might add, to talk to me, but so he could actually see out. I feel the need to comment...

Magnatom: Clear your windscreen before you drive! Do you know how dangerous that is?

Driver: I could see out just fine...

Magnatom: So why were you driving so slow if you could see out?!

Driver: I was looking down sorting some stuff out on the passenger seat...

Magnatom: Ah, so you were not actually paying attention to the road!? Very good!

(Mmm, he's digging a bigger hole now!)

Driver: Umm, errr

Magnatom: Kinda makes my point though doesn't it...

Driver: Aye, well....you're probably right....and it is good to see that you have a good set of lights on....most cyclists don't....

Magnatom: How many drivers speed?

The driver and I then both pull out from the now clear junction with him in front. He rolls down his driver window and starts shouting out (not aggressively I might add) stuff I can't make out, however, I suspect that it was along the lines of how bad most cyclists are blah, blah blah.

It did make me laugh though. Fair cop, your right, but most of you cyclists are worse..... What did that have to do with anything!!!?

Anyway I'll let you guess what type of car he was driving.....;)

(I do have it on video, but it is difficult to make out what the driver says and to see how frosted up the car was).

This morning, on one of the larger urban side streets on my commute (20mph limit), I spot a car up ahead doing about 10mph. As I get closer it is still doing 10mph (nothing wrong with that as such) and as I am going quicker I decide to overtake. As I do that I notice that the driver is trying to clear a sheet of ice off the front winscreen with the wipers. Not very successfully of course! :wacko:

I overtake doing the obligatory Magnatom headshake. :headshake:

Anyway about 50m later he picks up speed and pulls around me, only for me to catch him at the next junction. As I approach I notice he is winding down his passenger side window. Not, I might add, to talk to me, but so he could actually see out. I feel the need to comment...

Magnatom: Clear your windscreen before you drive! Do you know how dangerous that is?

Driver: I could see out just fine...

Magnatom: So why were you driving so slow if you could see out?!

Driver: I was looking down sorting some stuff out on the passenger seat...

Magnatom: Ah, so you were not actually paying attention to the road!? Very good!

(Mmm, he's digging a bigger hole now!)

Driver: Umm, errr

Magnatom: Kinda makes my point though doesn't it...

Driver: Aye, well....you're probably right....and it is good to see that you have a good set of lights on....most cyclists don't....

Magnatom: How many drivers speed?

The driver and I then both pull out from the now clear junction with him in front. He rolls down his driver window and starts shouting out (not aggressively I might add) stuff I can't make out, however, I suspect that it was along the lines of how bad most cyclists are blah, blah blah.

It did make me laugh though. Fair cop, your right, but most of you cyclists are worse..... What did that have to do with anything!!!?

(I do have it on video, but it is difficult to make out what the driver says and to see how frosted up the car was).

I thought it was going to end up with him driving into the back of another car because he couldn't see it Lol.

ohnovino

Large Member
My first post at last - whoohoo!

Earlier this week I was waiting at a crossroads, with the car approaching from my left going slower and slower. As she got to the junction, the driver wound the window down and said "you go first, I can't really see". Her windscreen was covered in ice, and her solution was to drive at walking pace until it cleared up :ohmy:

Less of a SMIDSY, more Sorry Mate I Can't See A Thing

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Saw a few of them this morning. I drove to work and within 50m of leaving my drive the windscreen seemed to have clouded over (presumably due to my body heat within the car) so I pulled over to the side of the road and waited until it was clear before setting off again.... I found it quite scary to see how many people were driving whilst crouched close to the steering wheel to see through the 3" clear bit at the bottom of the windscreen, or through a cleared hole in the ice on the screen. Many had not bothered with rear windows or side windows/mirrors!!! It just beggars belief! :angry:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

My first post at last - whoohoo!

Earlier this week I was waiting at a crossroads, with the car approaching from my left going slower and slower. As she got to the junction, the driver wound the window down and said "you go first, I can't really see". Her windscreen was covered in ice, and her solution was to drive at walking pace until it cleared up :ohmy:

Less of a SMIDSY, more Sorry Mate I Can't See A Thing

Welcome to the forum ohnovino! :hello:You should tell us a little about yourself and where you cycle.

Aye, why folk can't wait the extra two minutes it takes to clear the winscreen I'll never know. Personally, I won't drive until every window (and there are quite a few on a Citroen C4 Picasson Grand!) has been cleared. I even scrape the car for my wife when I am cycling in! :ohmy::rolleyes:

wesa

Directly opposite my drive is a junction with a minor road, my drive effectively makes a crossroads. While scraping the car this morning (two little ones to deliver to deliver to school / nursery – on the bike yesterday) a car pulled up to the junction and stopped, it was there a fair time so I gave it a second glance, the windscreen was completely frosted over, not even the usual 6" round hole. The driver started edging forward across the road, at one point I thought he was going to go straight into my car but he seemed to figure out where he was and made the turn onto the 'main' road. It is a good job there was nothing coming.
As he was finishing the manoeuvre and heading off roughly in the direction of the road, without thinking, I vocalised my thoughts along the lines of "f*****g idiot", my eldest responded with "Daddy, what is a f*****g idiot" and a passing pedestrian burst out laughing. Cheered me up.

This is the same spot where a van crossed the full width of the road and mounted the opposite curb, turned back onto the road and mounted the nearside curb, all the while scratching at the frosted windscreen with his bare hand.

Welcome to the forum ohnovino! :hello:You should tell us a little about yourself and where you cycle.

Aye, why folk can't wait the extra two minutes it takes to clear the winscreen I'll never know. Personally, I won't drive until every window (and there are quite a few on a Citroen C4 Picasson Grand!) has been cleared. I even scrape the car for my wife when I am cycling in! :ohmy::rolleyes:

Hey Maggers thats clever does she drive along side while you are doing it?

asterix

Comrade Member

Merc.

HonestMan1910

Über Member
This happened to me last week, when a taxi driver Edin Black cab, pulled over at a junction and gave me abuse for having no lights on, i could barley see through is icy windows and pointed out the lights on the bike fram and my rucksack

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Thursday morning, icey on cars but not on the deck (same yesterday but even colder - I'm told -3 by one of the contractors I speak to sometimes :ohmy: )..

I'm riding HERE in the left filter lane to turn left at the pub. Right where the white van is in the photo was where I saw Thursday's driver.

As she approached, indicators on and wishing to turn into the same road as me I noticed her speed and that she was turning regardless of my being there. I actually stopped next to the railings and lap post. Her windscreen was frosted right over with a small gap to see through (perhaps caused by her wipers), and as she passed me I gave her a big wave and asked if she could see, all through her open passenger window. She just did the dead ahead stare..

..infact she was slowing me down, considering. She ended up driving past debenhams doing about 10mph like in Mag's OP.

oldroadman

Veteran

Hang on! I drive a Merc! And I scrape and demist the car fully before I even move out of the car park.

We're not all bad

VOLVO, AUDI, ANY 4x4 or people carrier? If you ride a moto, you know all about the this brigade, worst around schools at drop-off/collect time, no attention whatever to what's happening around them, never mind if they can see anything, as they are not looking it makes no difference!

HonestMan1910

Über Member
VOLVO, AUDI, ANY 4x4 or people carrier? If you ride a moto, you know all about the this brigade, worst around schools at drop-off/collect time, no attention whatever to what's happening around them, never mind if they can see anything, as they are not looking it makes no difference!

I drive a Volvo and your point is ?

The car drivers are the idiots not the car they drive.

Top Bottom