Cinema by yourself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was once in a queue with Richard E Grant, who was unaccompanied. I thought nothing of it, except that he wanted to see the film. What are you afraid of? Though come to think of it, when mobiles were new, I once saw someone standing in a queue for tickets alone, chatting on his phone, when it rang!

pplpilot

Guru
I spend on average about 10 days a month in hotels, i think nothing of going cinema on my own, ot the indian/Chinese/pub/club/museum/walk along the beach I actually like my own company. Go for it.

Brains

Legendary Member
My wife is a very regular cinema goer, and given the shifts she works is usually on her own. She has been going on her own to the cinema since bunking off school as a teenager

Brains

Legendary Member
I spend on average about 10 days a month in hotels, i think nothing of going cinema on my own, ot the indian/Chinese/pub/club/museum/walk along the beach I actually like my own company. Go for it.

Yep, I used to do a lot of that as well, all over the world.
I've seen some amazing museums, cathedrals and castles, and a lot of films in strange places,
'Gladiator' in an Roman amphitheatre was so good I went twice (it was also the only film on the bill in English)

I've also eaten in hundreds of restaurants on my own.
The best of which, (usually in Greece oddly enough,) have a single diners table where they put you all on one table, which has occasionally lead to long evenings putting the world to rights with complete strangers.
The only place I've felt intimidated by eating alone is in Germany. It just does not seem to be the done thing there.

I disagree with some of those rules. It's clearly perfectly acceptable to eat pop corn during the film, though crunching and rustling should be minimized as far as possible
When I had a minor role in cinema (film distribution) the owner of one of the smaller chains introduced himself as "Britain's biggest popcorn retailer".

They make more from popcorn, sweets and pop than from movies

tyred

Legendary Member
I go nearly everywhere alone. I'm happy in my own company and in many ways prefer to do things alone as I can do as I please.

Used to go regularly by myself when I had a Cineworld card and was working out of Aberdeen. Was an opportunity to go and see films that OH wouldn't have been interested in and on occasion ones I wouldn't normally bother with, some of which I really enjoyed - mostly foreign language type ones.
Lad I worked with had one of the cards too. He disappeared one Sunday and when I saw him the following admitted he'd watched 3 films on the trot, basically just topping up on popcorn/hotdogs on the way from one screen to the next.

Top Bottom